Growing as a Photographer

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Growing as a Photographer

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

Oh, yeah. And don’t let hardware stand in your way. If you can’t afford something, think creatively – odds are something you can afford can be modified to do the same thing.

…and if you can’t figure a way to do it, post a question here in the forums.

I’ve jury-rigged a *lot* of stuff in my time for lighting. Others have made lenses out of soda cans. There’s a wealth of knowledge here. Use it.

clouddancer
    Participant

I decided to make an A-Z list of things to photograph to start looking at things differently. I showed it to my husband and he said I was focusing on the wrong things and made me a different list. Thought I’d share it here, in case anyone is curious.

Airy
    Bright
    Clear
    Depressing
    Exciting
    Fresh
    Gross
    Heavy
    Iced
    Jumping
    Knobbly
    Lively
    Monotone
    Nocturnal
    Opulent
    Precious to a child
    Quiet
    Revealing
    Secluded
    Timid
    Unsafe
    Voluptuous
    Wire
    Xanthic (a yellowish color, or a fair haired pale-skinned person)
    Youthful
    Zealous

He also said that if he didn’t like how they came out that he’d “throw it away” and tell me to do it again. Yeesh.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I decided to make an A-Z list of things to photograph to start looking at things differently. I showed it to my husband and he said I was focusing on the wrong things and made me a different list. Thought I’d share it here, in case anyone is curious.

Airy
    Bright
    Clear
    Depressing
    Exciting
    Fresh
    Gross
    Heavy
    Iced
    Jumping
    Knobbly
    Lively
    Monotone
    Nocturnal
    Opulent
    Precious to a child
    Quiet
    Revealing
    Secluded
    Timid
    Unsafe
    Voluptuous
    Wire
    Xanthic (a yellowish color, or a fair haired pale-skinned person)
    Youthful
    Zealous

He also said that if he didn’t like how they came out that he’d “throw it away” and tell me to do it again. Yeesh.

Now that is a list of things to photograph, I think I want someone to make me a list like that. I challenges the mind. I enjoy the themes we do, but I am always thinking about them with an eye to voting and it changes how and what I shoot. This is an advantage because it teaches me how to shoot for other people but I am not shooting for “Me”. A list like this is a great way to open your mind, though your Resident Critic seems like a hardass 😀

clouddancer
    Participant

though your Resident Critic seems like a hardass 😀

He is a hardass, but he’s mine. 🙂 And the silly/stupid/frustrating thing is that he’s right more often than I’d like to admit. The instruction that goes with this list is “The main element must come out in the picture. Example, photographing something or someone exciting must show that in the picture without any captioning or description.”

He says I don’t do this type of thing at all and that ^this is what I need to focus on. Apparently my pictures tend to not convey anything other than the object I’m photographing. He did say I don’t have to take them in order, which is nice. I’m more one for photographing things as they are, so I reckon I’ll have to set up for this more than I’d care to, most especially with lighting. However, I do want to get better at this, so I’ll just suck it up and do it. For now, I’m off to the store to get some foodses so I can be back before I need to start work.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Growing as a Photographer’ is closed to new replies.