Happy Birthday To Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    clouddancer
    Participant

From The Hubby, I will be receiving a macro lens! It’s a Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8. He ordered from NewEgg. A phone call confirmation since it was being sent to someone not him kind of blew the whole plan apart for suprising me with it. This one, actually:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830998385

Looking forward to using it! I love me some macro shots. 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

Happy birthday and congratulations!!

chupathingie
    Participant

‘Grats! Looks like a fun toy! 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Awesome! I’ve looked at that one myself before, but I’m not sure if I’d use a macro enough to justify it. Be sure and post some shots in the gallery after you’ve had a chance to play with it (and maybe convince me otherwise ;)).

lokisbong
    Participant

Happy birthday and congrats on a fun looking lens.

caradoc
    Participant

Awesome! I’ve looked at that one myself before, but I’m not sure if I’d use a macro enough to justify it.

Just because a lens is a “macro” lens doesn’t mean that’s all it’s good for.

I use my 90mm “macro” lens more for portraiture than for bugs…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So educate me, caradoc – what are the benefits of a macro lens outside of macro photography? What earns it the “macro” label? (Is it just the closer focusing ability?)

caradoc
    Participant

That’s pretty much it. A “true macro” will let you get 1:1 image/sensor. There are “other macro” lenses that do 3:1 or so… but a “macro” lens is generally built to be a lot sharper than the equivalent non-macro lens.

For example, these were both shot with the same Tamron 90mm f/2.8:

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So basically a macro is just a “normal” lens with shaper resolution and the ability to focus closer to a subject? If so, I could definitely see the utility in such a lens (beyond conventional macro shots).

chupathingie
    Participant

A lot of astrophotographers rave over the resolution they get from their macro lenses, so they are often the favored glass for wide-field shooting.

orionid
    Participant

A lot of astrophotographers rave over the resolution they get from their macro lenses, so they are often the favored glass for wide-field shooting.

Yar.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I will definitely be keeping that idear in my brain for when I can afford my next lens also.

Barracuda
    Participant

This is not helping my desire for such a lens. Not helping one little bit. *twitchy mouse finger wants to buy*

ravnostic
    Participant

*perks ears*

Oh? I think I know what I’ll be shopping for next….

bender16v
    Participant

Happy Birthday and what a great gift. I have a 100mm f2.8 off-brand macro and it is my favorite lens. Like caradoc said, I use mine for macro sometimes but also for general stuff a lot too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Happy Birthday To Me’ is closed to new replies.