HDR and Double/multiple exposure rules discussion

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill HDR and Double/multiple exposure rules discussion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I’ve opened this thread to continue and make more inclusive a discussion happening in the “In and Out” discussion thread concerning rules for HDR and Double exposures. Feel free to expound your theories and such here.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

I had a similar thought to orionid, but using a different subject.

I vote yes for allowing post processing double exposure for those contests where HDR is allowed. The line between processing for a double exposure versus processing for dynamic range seems pretty gray to me.

orionid
    Participant

I recognize the fact that I’m still a farktography newb, but based on the initial reaction to my question, I think the rules as they stand should stay for this contest, but possibly revise them prior to future HDR allowed contests. I honestly don’t know enough about HDR to have a valid opinion either way, but whatever the group concensus is, I’ll support it. The only thing that I can see is by post processing a double exposure, you’d have a much finer control of layers transparency than you would have with in camera double exposures.

SilverStag
    Participant

Psst, orionid:

The “I am become Death” quote comes from Vishnu in the Hindu Bhagavad-Gita. Oppenheimer was quoting it.

The Alan Shepard quote in your sig is from the Mercury program. Shepard didn’t fly in Gemini.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well here’s another line of argument that would support the multiple exposures angle. In general when you shoot frames for HDR, if there is any movement between frames (e.g. trees swaying, cars in motion, people walking through a crowded street, etc), you’ll end up with ghosting anyway. That’s a well known issue with HDR; it’s just not used intentionally in most cases. In orionid‘s case, it would be intentionally taking a bug (of sorts) and turning it into a feature.

soosh
    Participant

What about allowing double exposures in an HDR contest with the stipulation that it has to be done to overlay a whole scene over another whole scene, not as a method for adding a bright full moon behind your howling coyote shot?

orionid
    Participant

Psst, orionid:

The “I am become Death” quote comes from Vishnu in the Hindu Bhagavad-Gita. Oppenheimer was quoting it.

The Alan Shepard quote in your sig is from the Mercury program. Shepard didn’t fly in Gemini.

SilverStag I knew the first one. It’s just much more chilling to think of Oppe speaking the quote. And the second, holy crap, you’re right and I can’t believe I farked that up. Gus Grissom replaced Shepard before any of the Gemini flights when his ears when OOC. And it was Mercury 3, not 1. Whoops.

end threadjacking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘HDR and Double/multiple exposure rules discussion’ is closed to new replies.