HDR Something

Forums Forums Get Technical HDR HDR Something

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Given that HDR something’s in the hopper, I decided to intentionally dip into the “HDR hole.”

Yeah, Photoshop’s got an HDR function, which I’ve used and turns out good stuff.
    But let’s say you’re on a budget (and more copyright compliant than me), you need a program to make this happen.
    Or… let’s say you’re on a work computer and cannot install anything yourself (this is where I am right now).

Let me suggest Fusion: http://fusion.ns-point.com/ An HDR program that can be installed as Portable.

It’s pretty easy and turns out some nice little pix. It’s hard not to go overboard with the tone mapping, but it is possible to do subtle work. I’ll post some pix in a bit.
    My one complaint is that even though there’s a choice between HDR and Summator processing, when I go to save a Summator image, an error message pops up and it refuses to save. The HDR side saves fine. I don’t know if it was my install, a bug of the Portable version or something else. Other reviewers haven’t mentioned this problem.

I posted this a “HDR Something” because of the hoppered theme, and so people could post their own recommended programs, images or reviews.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Former Erie Canal aqueduct turned subway, now abandoned

Lavender in my back yard (makes mowing an olfactory experience, as does the herb garden… the herb garden makes pizza smells, while the lavender makes old lady smells)

Neato train grafitti (the align function usually works better than this. not sure what happened)

Barracuda
    Participant

Good to know there are some free options out there other than Gimp which I had a hard time with getting the results I wanted. I ended up getting Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 when I ponied up for the complete collection (wanting mainly Silver Efex and HDR so getting the full set was worth while and so far been enjoying working with Color Efex too). Here’s one of my recent shots:

orionid
    Participant

I got the Nik software with the rest of the bundle, but haven’t tried it yet. I pretty much use Photomatix Pro exclusively. I did go off the deep end at one point, but I’ve come back and tonemap much more subtly now.

Edge of the World – HDR by Orionid, on Flickr

Mingus Mill Sluiceway – HDR by Orionid, on Flickr

After the Storm, There is Warmth – HDR by Orionid, on Flickr

Barracuda
    Participant

orionid, I compared/contrasted the two for a while before buying the Nik software vs Photomatrix. Ultimately it came down to the fact I could get closer to what I wanted out of the HDR Efex software than the other – which is typically more natural looking results. You can certainly go crazy too, but from the several side-by-side tests i did, Nik got my money.

Love the mil shot btw. 🙂

orionid
    Participant

orionid, I compared/contrasted the two for a while before buying the Nik software vs Photomatrix. Ultimately it came down to the fact I could get closer to what I wanted out of the HDR Efex software than the other – which is typically more natural looking results. You can certainly go crazy too, but from the several side-by-side tests i did, Nik got my money.

Love the mil shot btw. 🙂

Yeah, I figure it really comes down to the same debate as Canon/Nikon. One’s as good as the other, it’s just comfort and familiarity. Thanks for the kudos.

chupathingie
    Participant

Most times I prefer enfuse, with some post-processing. If I need a tonemapper, I can add it after. enfuse doesn’t fark with color like a tonemapper does.

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve purposely stayed away from HDR but have had HDR Efex Pro 2 for quite a while. Because of this contest I thought I would fool around with some photos that I bracketed in the past as a precautionary measure. They seem to turn out pretty well but I wondered if you have any tips about processing before taking photos into the HDR software? Do you do it? If so, do you try to correct color, clarity, etc. and then apply the same settings to all images (other than exposure)?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Heh, I was searching the library for shots for next week and started thinking about how I never shoot HDR any more. Then, I started comparing those I did shoot:

This is deep HDR Hole 2010

And this was this Summer using HDR to try and capture the actual light in this shot:

My aesthetic has changed a bit.

I almost most never use HDR, but when I do, I use Photomatix Pro

/The World least interesting photographer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘HDR Something’ is closed to new replies.