I farked myself good, now…. Any Nikon advice?

Forums Forums Get Technical Software I farked myself good, now…. Any Nikon advice?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Sooo….. I started taking shots in raw. Specifically, with nikon, *.NEF. But, when I tried to do anything with them (including shots for these weeks contest) I keep getting PS errors. Some google-fu and scouring of both adobe and nikons websites tells me the following.

Adobe Photoshop CS is supported by up to Camera Raw 2.4.

The D50 is not supported by adobe software until Camera Raw 3.2, which only works with CS2.

Nikon no longer supports (or even offers download) for adobe plugins for the D50.

People seem to think the Nikon pugin for CS sucked anyways.

I lost my original Nikon disk.

So…. short of getting a newer DSLR still supported by nikon (out of the question), or getting the most recent version of CS (also out), or just sticking with jpg’s for the time being (most likely), any suggestions?

nobigdeal
    Participant

Probably won’t help for the shots for this week but call Nikon customer service. They will probably send you a disc with the software if you ask niceley. Tell them you had to reformat your drive and the cd you have keeps giving errors when you try to install.

Thats what I told Canon and they sent me a disc 3 days later.

sleeping
    Participant

You might give UFRaw a try: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html

soosh
    Participant

I’m sending your question to a friend that shoots Nikon.

Is there no Nikon software you can download for RAW conversion?

soosh
    Participant

here’s my friend’s advice:

*picassa
    *capture one (free 30 day trial)
    *aperture (if you’re on a mac)
    *http://www.graphicregion.com/ablerawer.htm
    *you should be able to get Nikonview from Nikon with just your serial number of your camera as proof of ownership

nobigdeal
    Participant

here’s my friend’s advice:

*picassa
    *capture one (free 30 day trial)
    *aperture (if you’re on a mac)
    *http://www.graphicregion.com/ablerawer.htm
    *you should be able to get Nikonview from Nikon with just your serial number of your camera as proof of ownership

All Canon asked me for was the serial number and they sent me the DPP disc.

It’s worth the call before you spend money and time on software that may or may not do what you need.

I find DPP to be the best for me to use for RAW conversion. Quick & easy.

Before that I used the Olympus master software for RAW again..easy & quick.

I don’t know about Nikon though..it could be as bad as their cameras (kidding 🙂 )

The only thing I really use it for is exposure correction & white balance,all other PP I do in GIMP or PS

soosh
    Participant

I figured out a registry hack that lets you install Canon’s software. I never thought to call them.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I figured out a registry hack that lets you install Canon’s software. I never thought to call them.

They don’t have the software available for download anymore on the website because they are “upgrading”it..or so that is what I was told.
    The guy at Canon told me how to download the update and then trick the computer into doing a full install from it.
    Anyway they sent me the disc for free and it only took three days to arrive from the day I called. So now I have the original disc if I ever need it.

jpatten
    Participant

i remember a link on another forum for DPP download…….

jpatten
    Participant
    soosh
    Participant

dpp is still available from Canon. I’m downloading an update right now.

Without the original CD, the updates won’t install if it’s a new computer/fresh OS install, but you can trick it by doing the following:

1. Open Notepad
    2. Paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonEOS Utility]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonDPP]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonZoomBrowser EX]

3. Save the file as Canon.reg
    4. Double-Click the file and answer Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

nobigdeal
    Participant

dpp is still available from Canon. I’m downloading an update right now.

Without the original CD, the updates won’t install if it’s a new computer/fresh OS install, but you can trick it by doing the following:

1. Open Notepad
    2. Paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonEOS Utility]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonDPP]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECanonZoomBrowser EX]

3. Save the file as Canon.reg
    4. Double-Click the file and answer Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

Yea that was my problem. I reformatted my drive then couldn’t find the CD.

The Canon tech gave me the trick over the phone.

nobigdeal
    Participant

http://www.cdifoto.com/dpp.php

Cool…I couldn’t find that anywhere. every site I went to just redirected me to the update from Canon.

/Googlefu=weak

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

You might give UFRaw a try: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html

That’s what I use for all my images. I’m shooting with a D80 in raw mode.

orionid
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas. I called Nikon and explained my situation, and they were more than happy to send me a new disk. They also pointed out one fact that I had overlooked…. I already own CS. So, since I use PS almost exclusively (other than a little AI for silkscreening or farking around), I can upgrade to PS CS4 for $200 instead of the four-digit purchase price I was thinking of.

So now I get to play with all the cool new toys in CS4 (HDR, here I come) at the low low price of buying one less car part this month (it’s too cold to work on them anyway).

Guess that also mean I won’t be making a firm switch to Linux anytime soon (though I am still debating playing with it on my desktop).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘I farked myself good, now…. Any Nikon advice?’ is closed to new replies.