I got a gig!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Analogy
    Participant

A local musician that I took some photos of at a show called me up today and asked me to take some pictures for his upcoming album. Yay for me! His myspace can be found here. And yes, that profile photo is one of mine.

Snug Tight
    Participant

Analogy

Congrats. That is very cool.

Curious
    Participant

good for you Analogy

my sister did some album work for a local band where she lives and also sent a CD when it was released.

no that wasn’t a hint.

i’m reminded of a friend from years back who had to create an album cover from four individual shots. yeah four separate exposures on one piece of photo paper to get a master photo. took him a while to get it right since this was in ’74 or ’75 and sans photoshop.

XenPix
    Participant

Congrats!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s sweet! Congrats 🙂

Analogy
    Participant

I’ve been spending the day preparing and doing test shots to try out some lighting concepts. One thing I’m trying out for the first time is using flash to compete with sunlight, not just for fill but to actually try and outdo the sun.

This is with a 400W studio flash that I have. Full power about 4 feet from my face. Exposure is f/22 (!) at 1/250, shooting into the part of the sky directly around the sun. Shutter is limited to 1/250 because I have to sync with a flash. It works pretty well but could use some more fill light, which is why I’m borrowing another 400W head and an 800W head from a friend of mine who does portraits, and that should be enough light to do just about anything I want.

The real trick will be powering it in the field. My car has a power outlet in the dashboard but I’m not sure whether it can power all three flashes. I’ve already tried it with just my 400W and it worked as long as I didn’t fire it again too soon after the last shot. I’m picking up the other flashes a bit later and that’s when I’ll find out whether I need to rent a small generator.

Curious
    Participant

when I’ll find out whether I need to rent a small generator.

you might want to look into a power inverter. that link is just a google find – no endorsement. the small one i have was $30. Sam’s Club has a good selection and that’s where i got mine.

Analogy
    Participant

I found a power inverter around the house and plugged it into the cigarette lighter, it didn’t supply enough juice to power the flash.

Analogy
    Participant

I ended up renting a generator. Only cost like $30, and it was worth it:

That gallery’s not everything, just a couple highlights from the stuff I used flash on. We spent about 2-3 hours going around getting random shots here and there using ambient light, but I like the flash stuff the most.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘I got a gig!’ is closed to new replies.