If you find yourself near a newsstand in Poland…

Forums Forums News Articles and Info If you find yourself near a newsstand in Poland…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Pick up a copy of the September 2010 issue of Focus Magazine.

PUBLISHED! by Orionid, on Flickr

Original shot

As best as we can get from google, the text blurb reads:

big bluff
    forcing strength of testimony turned out to be ineffective.
    today the leading hearings should be primarily a great
    psychologist
    former mining
    testimony from physical violence and torture was the basic technique of Inquiry

nobigdeal
    Participant

Nice!

ravnostic
    Participant

Disturbing image (I’m a little more vanilla than that), but congrats on being published. 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Sweet! How did it work out that a Polish magazine found your photo?

orionid
    Participant

Thanks, all.

Their photo editor cruises flickr to look for images that match up with their articles, then sends emails asking about terms. When I got the email, I was initially thinking BS. So, the skeptic in me started doing some digging. The guy gave an email address that was not focus.pl (the magazine page), but I uncovered it to be owned by the parent publishing house, which gave some credibility. When I sent him my terms, he responded with a release and one-time use contract, as well as the advice of asking for 20% more than my initial terms because poland takes a VAT off all foreign-destined transactions. A little more flickr-fu started uncovering a couple other flickr users who’d been contacted and published, including a lady in New Zealand that had made the cover with a photo of Maoris in native garb.

My complimentary copy that I requested came today, along with a note that the check is being mailed separately from their finance office.

SilverStag
    Participant

And did you get paid in Zlotys?

orionid
    Participant

And did you get paid in Zlotys?

No. Authentic pirogies.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s quite the tale. I’d have had a hard time believing it initially, too.

OK, so I have to ask – What does something like that pay? If you’d rather give a ballpark answer or even not answer, of course I understand, but my curiousity wouldn’t let me not ask.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I like the picture, and it’s great that you can now brag that you are “a US-based photographer who works mainly in former Soviet-bloc countries exploring themes of torture and control on the post-communist psyche”.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I like the picture, and it’s great that you can now brag that you are “a US-based photographer who works mainly in former Soviet-bloc countries exploring themes of torture and control on the post-communist psyche”.

Oooh, you’re good. You should be in marketing (assuming you’re not already). 🙂

Curious
    Participant

however it happened and whatever it paid that’s just cool as hell.

ok that’s an oxymoran.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Oooh, you’re good. You should be in marketing (assuming you’re not already). 🙂

No, not marketing, but another area full of bullshit: academia 😉

I used to do a lot of translation work, and I can tell you that the marketing stuff was the hardest to do. Lots of words saying nothing.
    Local government stuff was pretty bad, too.

olavf
    Participant

Awesome.

/I want pierogies. I haven’t had good ones since I left SF.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I used to do a lot of translation work, and I can tell you that the marketing stuff was the hardest to do. Lots of words saying nothing.

I’ve never thought about it, but that makes a lot of sense. Lots of nuances, innuendos, and word play that wouldn’t necessarily translate directly.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I’ve never thought about it, but that makes a lot of sense. Lots of nuances, innuendos, and word play that wouldn’t necessarily translate directly.

The problem was in the vocabulary, and the reasons why that vocab was used.
    Japanese marketing language, depending on the product field, uses lots of foreign loan words, often words that aren’t really understood by your average Japanese Joe-san.
    It’s kind of a way of blinding them with cool-sounding English words, but when you translate those words back to the original English, it just sounds weak.

Fashion stuff was another one for lots of foreign words. I remember translating something for a well-known bra manufacturer; that was hell.
    And yes, I was about to type in “large bra manufacturer” before I realised the potential permutations 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘If you find yourself near a newsstand in Poland…’ is closed to new replies.