I’m published!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, online anyway: http://www.tulsaworld.com/highschools. Scroll down to the Bixby vs Westmoore photo gallery and that’s all me. It was Bixby’s homecoming, so some that ceremony is in there, too.

I even got paid! A whopping $25 per game and $5 for each photo that someone purchases from the website. If I can get 15 people to buy a photo, I’ll have made minimum wage on the time I put into it. Woo hoo!

Seriously, though, of course it’s not about the money. I knew what I was getting into. The paper was looking for people to shoot all of the various high school games around the area (we take high school football seriously here, if you didn’t notice) and no one stepped up for my high school. I like football and I like photography, so I thought, why not? I really enjoyed photographing my son’s games back when he played (he quit when he started high school) and this was a chance to do the same for a possibly larger audience. Besides, it’s also an excuse to be on the sidelines during the game.

It also gave me an excuse to break out my retired 30D. I had a short lens (24-70mm) on that and a long lens (1.4x TE + 70-200mm) on my 5D. If you look through the gallery, you’ll see what looks like a break in the timeline with the last 10 shots; those are from the 30D, which names files IMG_* while the 5D names them GH8A*, so the gallery is in filename order. I probably should’ve renamed or added a prefix so they’re sorted by time; I’ll likely do that next time.

I’m going to be out of town and can’t shoot the next home game, but right now I’m scheduled for two more games after that.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

CISS, that’s awesome, and there are some great photos in that set.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Hey, thanks a lot, Pope! I suppose it’s silly to be excited about an opportunity that was open to the first person to volunteer, but nonetheless it’s pleasing to see my shots on a website that isn’t my own. 🙂

fluffybunny
    Participant

Great work CISS! I especially liked “GH8A3273.jpg” (85/103) and “GH8A2931.jpg” (8/103). Also glad to see that you included the band.

/Former band nerd.

orionid
    Participant

Nice! Rock on.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Fluffy, you picked a couple of my favorites as well. I only wish the ball was in the frame for (85/103); otherwise, that’s a perfect receiver leap, transposed against the “Home of the Spartans” sign in the background. Serendipity was smiling on me for that one.

And can you believe the looks of the guy in (8/103)? If I was casting for your stereotypical California teen angst movie and was looking for someone for the role of all-American cocky jock/homecoming king who surfs on the side, I don’t think I could find a better fit. I don’t know the guy, so I can’t say if he actually fits that mold, but he sure looks the part!

RE: the band – my son plays alto sax and I marched with a bari sax, so you’re not alone in your current/former band nerd-iness. I know there are at least a few others here as well. I have a good friend that I’ve known since 1st grade who played HS football but sat on the bench for the most part; I like to kid him that I saw more field time than he did. 😉

fluffybunny
    Participant

stereotypical California teen..surf…angst

My thoughts exactly.

I like to kid him that I saw more field time than he did.

That’s funny.
    I played both alto and baritone in marching, symphonic and jazz bands. Haven’t played in many a year though.

ennuipoet
    Participant

It’s a nice feeling ain’t it CiSS? 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

It is indeed, ennui, although I’m still unsettled on my opinion of the “reward” vs effort part of it. 😕

For those interested (and I have no idea why anyone here would be interested in OK HS football photos, but just in case…), here’s the most recent gallery from last Friday’s game: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/bixby-vs-sapulpa/collection_e9e42374-3403-11e3-bfe4-001a4bcf6878.html. They’ve got them all out of order for some reason. The shots of the helicopter are from a pregame promotion that Chick-fil-A did where they dropped hundreds of stuffed cow toys with parachutes onto the field. Some of them got stuck in the field goal webbing and remained there for the duration of the game. 😆

The paper changed the format of their website a couple of days after the first gallery was published and frankly, I don’t care for it. The photos are a lot smaller now and can’t be enlarged. I don’t know how they expect anyone to buy a photo that you can barely see the details of. I really don’t care about photo sales (although it’d be flattering, for sure), but I do wish viewers could get a better look at some of the shots.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘I’m published!’ is closed to new replies.