Image Backup Options

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Image Backup Options

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

I think that some combination of a terrabyte hard drive (probably internal on the desktop) with an online back up service is probably the way to go for us. Carbonite does not back up an external hard drive. So I’ll keep looking around at online back up services – perhaps CISS‘s suggestion. I have about 100 GB of photos and other stuff so mozy is out with its 125 GB limit.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew you guys (and gals) would not disappoint.

I was really disappointed when they changed their plans, but I guess they can’t make much money giving people unlimited storage for 2 years for $100. I’ve got until Oct 2012 to figure out what I’m going to do. But I liked it because it will back up an external to their servers along with backing up to another local external drive.

ykarie
    Participant

My actual backup plan is three hard disks: one in computer, two external. The every time I shoot another 4gigs worth of keepers, they go on a dvd. I don’t expect the dvds to last more than a few years. Recent shots stay on memory cards until they can be put on at least 2 of the HDs or an HD and DVD. Really good pictures go to my parent’s computer which has gigs of storage and no one using it. No fancy services, I just copy the files over to the drives, and let md5sum make sure the copy wasn’t corrupt.

I wouldn’t trust a web host that says in the EULA that they aren’t responsible. After all, if you are willing to pay for a backup service, use a backup service. Amazon has S3 which looks rather cheap for it’s guarantees, but I haven’t used it. Just get a couple TB size drives from different companies, and when you take new pictures, put them on all the external drives at the same time. If you want really safe, never reuse a memory card; just treat them like rolls of film.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Image Backup Options’ is closed to new replies.