Insomnia and Tequila

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Insomnia and Tequila

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Jakevol2
    Participant

OK… I did some research. According to the specs, the A560 is capable of 7.1 megapixels, which would be scalable to the 16″x20″ image you want.

However, you have to shoot in “high” resolution to get there. The image that you’ve got on Flickr isn’t going to print at all well if you try to scale it that high.

I am still learning the ins and outs of my camera…I just found out what macro was last weekend 😳

I am learning though…I think.

caradoc
    Participant

Learning is good. Even Ansel Adams had to practice.

Curious
    Participant

if that linked photo is the largest you’re hosed. link you flickr page(s) please.

yes you could crop it. cropping to 16×20 would mean losing the very top or the bottom shadow. either would spoil it. cropping to 16×16 makes the picture work better. learn to think in formats other than strictly rectangular. square can be very effective some times. so can rectangular other than the 2:3 ratio. panorama isn’t 2:3 for instance. when shooting vertically you don’t have to stay in the 3:2 ratio either. cropping off the side of a vertical can add height and interest.

set your camera to the largest image size it has. set the quality to the finest setting it has. i.e. extra fine, super fine, etc. all will still be .jpg and easily manipulated later. RAW is good if you are really going to do a lot of post processing. and don’t tell me that you can’t then get enough shots on your storage media. buy more, media is cheap. always shot for the biggest image and biggest file size then if you want you can reduce the results. you CAN NOT effectively blow up a small image.

or what you and caradoc have been discussing 🙂

Jakevol2
    Participant

Yep. Live and learn. I decided back in December that I hated losing good composition to low resolution, and now I shoot everything in Nikon’s RAW format – it gives me the most flexibility in saving an image that had poor lighting. It also eats about 8-9MB per image.

Fortunately, 2GB SD cards are pretty cheap these days (I’ve looked at 4GB cards, and the price/speed break isn’t quite there yet.) I can stuff 160-180 images on a 2GB card before I have to swap, and they still take up a crapload less space than the 8-10 rolls of film I used to carry in the bag.

Yeah I need to go out and get a 1 or 2 gig SD card…it is on the list of toys.

I am already looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel if you can believe that 😯

Curious
    Participant

that’s a damn lie. the man was in the zone.

🙂

Jakevol2
    Participant

cropping to 16×16 makes the picture work better

Take it from me, the lab I work in charges extra for mount special trim. If I can get it in 16×20 I’ll take it and spend the money I would have spent on the mount special trim and use it on print finishing.

Oh and it’s not like I can’t set up the shot again tonight and use Large format. I didn’t drink all the tequila. 😈

caradoc
    Participant

set your camera to the largest image size it has. set the quality to the finest setting it has. i.e. extra fine, super fine, etc. all will still be .jpg and easily manipulated later.

I wouldn’t bet on that.

The A560 has a nasty reputation for optical fringing and artifacting in compression according to the reading I was doing earlier (trying to help him out, here.)

Given what I’ve just finished reading about the camera, I wouldn’t put any bets on scaling to print higher than 8″x10″ on a full-sized image, let alone a crop.

Jakevol2
    Participant

but according to the chart you provided I could get a decent 16×20 with my camera. So what should I do to get that?

Curious
    Participant

set your camera to the largest image size it has. set the quality to the finest setting it has. i.e. extra fine, super fine, etc. all will still be .jpg and easily manipulated later.

I wouldn’t bet on that.

The A560 has a nasty reputation for optical fringing and artifacting in compression according to the reading I was doing earlier (trying to help him out, here.)

Given what I’ve just finished reading about the camera, I wouldn’t put any bets on scaling to print higher than 8″x10″ on a full-sized image, let alone a crop.

that would a be a darned shame for a 7MP camera.

Jakevol12 i downloaded your first image and cropped it 2:3 in PS and you can get most of what you want it the finished result/print ok. the right side tends to dominate however. so when you re shoot you might want to leave more room to the left.

Jakevol2
    Participant

I wouldn’t bet on that.

that would a be a darned shame for a 7MP camera.

Jakevol12 i downloaded your first image and cropped it 2:3 in PS and you can get most of what you want it the finished result/print ok. the right side tends to dominate however. so when you re shoot you might want to leave more room to the left.

Cool, can you post it so I can see what it looks like?

Curious
    Participant

ok. you see what i was talking about with the right side? between all the space and the light it tends to draw you up and out.

Jakevol2
    Participant

ok. you see what i was talking about with the right side? between all the space and the light it tends to draw you up and out.

I see, yeah, but I like the way the light brings out the texture of the posterboard. One of the reasons I wanted to put Irish Linen and matte coat the finished product if I had had it printed.

Curious
    Participant

hey it’s your photo. my sister, who taught photography, used to hammer me about the rule of thirds but i just went on shooting what i liked. still do.

monkeybort
    Participant

that’s a damn lie. the man was in the zone.

🙂

*lol*

/i’m such a dork for getting that. 🙂

Jakevol2
    Participant

I went an rereated the shoot. This time I came up with only two shots I really liked. Curious and cardoc….what do you think this time around?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • The topic ‘Insomnia and Tequila’ is closed to new replies.