It’s all about the jaw line

Forums Forums News Articles and Info It’s all about the jaw line

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

It’s all about the jaw line (LGT: Youtube. appr 15 min).

Edit to add: Apparently photographers really are a gooney-looking bunch of people.

fluffybunny
    Participant

SHA-BANG!!! That’s some good action there.

Seriously though, good take on body mechanics and photography.

orionid
    Participant

Seriously though, good take on body mechanics and photography.

And one I never thought about as I realized when looking back through some of my portraits of people over the last few years.

chupathingie
    Participant

Well timed info, and thanks… I’m about to shoot a book cover in the next week or so, hopefully, and this is something that I will keep in mind.

nobigdeal
    Participant

That was excellent. I love learning new tricks!

kashari
    Participant

That was cool, thanks for posting it! I like his instructing style too, easy to understand & funny.

Curious
    Participant

maybe it’s jealousy but the three day beard just looks dirty to me. or it’s lazy or i’m old. you pick one.

Yoyo
    Participant

I’ll admit it. I tried this out the first time I was in the bathroom after seeing the video.

I did NOT however, take any pictures using a phone, with the camera visible in the frame, or a toilet in the background.

Now, since we all know that the closer you get the bigger things appear, with a short focal length, this trick could really end up giving the Lisa Simpson, i.e. small body-big head, effect. So, if I ever get a portrait gig, I’ll be sure to stick w/ the 85mm (136mm eq.). I suppose if all you’re after is the head shot, while most of the body is not visible, then it doesn’t really matter how huge someone’s noggin looks.

staplermofo
    Participant

It took me a while to realize it, but I did some searching and found that the crazy guy from Lost in Translation has been coaching this for years.
    The advice starts around 5:15

I wonder how much more of his genius goes unnoticed to this day. *wistful, longing sigh*

Yoyo
    Participant

Um, Stapler, I’m not sure that your link loaded correctly for me. I got a talk show about entertainment. I didn’t really notice any photography advice. (The subtitles are hard to read with the low quality video.) The eyebrow beam seems like an interesting super-power however.

staplermofo
    Participant

The host (Matthew) advises them to lean toward the camera, which, due to its position, has them do everything the video mentioned. You can see the side profile lean when he fights Niigaki for camera space. Konno was not doing this, and Matthew mentions it 5:20ish.
    I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO ULTERIOR MOTIVES IN POSTING THIS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘It’s all about the jaw line’ is closed to new replies.