It’s Our Birthday, Precious

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill It’s Our Birthday, Precious

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I went back today; camera still there. It’s a Brownie Hawkeye (see http://www.brownie-camera.com/27.shtml which says it’s worth $10 15)) It’s uses ‘620’ film, it says. Seems to me from reading the instructions that unlike 35mm, there’s no way to wind the film back into the housing, though. How to you keep it from being exposed in removing it and getting it to the developer? I liked that you could take time exposure photos (there’s an extra grey plastic botton opposite the shutter one to allow this; instruction manual showed ‘sample’ 5 minute exposure night shot of what looked to be NYC.) Given the photos, I’d say 1960ish, but there’s no date anywhere on it. The flash thingie came with it, too. something square was missing, though. If it’s there next Friday when they open up again with more stuff, I’ll see if I can bargain them down to $5 or $8, then I’ll figure out what I have to do to play photographer with it.

There were two other cameras, one was an early canon digital 35mm (38-80mm lens); still had a roll of 400 asa inside. The other was I think a panasonic.

Side note; today I bought a lamp they put out; no shade, but pat’d 1910 from Greist Lamps, model L.F.B. off to see if it’s worth the $12 I paid (it’s a night looking lamp; cord is not original, though. Articulating stem, though.

Maybe next week I’ll find a camera a little better than a brownie.

orionid
    Participant

Hey! I like my brownies!

I’ve got two hawkeye flashes, a reflex (127), a target six-20 and a target six-16 (70mm). As far as pulling the 35mm film out, I use a changing bag then manually wind the film back into the canister or just do it in a black room (zero light, not even the crack under the door). 120/220/620/127/616 etc all have a solid paper backing on them so that when they wind completely onto the take-up reel, they’re light-tight again.

I typically respool 120 onto the 620 reels to use the brownies.

As far as the elsinore/ennuipoet dilema, I just put a bunch of the ones I won’t use into the yardsale pile. I think old things enjoy life more when they can still be used, rather than sit on a shelf/floor/garage/whatever – hence why I also like driving old cars, even if they’re not hot-rodded out. The to-go pile has a polaroid 600, two kodak instamatics, and a couple mamaiya/tower/sears 126’s and 35mm in less than working order.

ravnostic
    Participant

Hey! I like my brownies!

I typically respool 120 onto the 620 reels to use the brownies.

Have you ever won a farktography contest with a shot taken from within a brownie? Say the word, I’ll be a converted man. I’ll even pay full price of feev-teen dolla to tap at dat brownie’s shutter.

And I’m not familiar with the slang of the second part, but it just sounds dirty (so I like the way you think. Except it’s really just the way I think projected upon the way you think. Hrm…projected…a photographic term, yet provacative….I like it even better still!)

P.S. I work nights, so this is my 10pm, which means I have had a 30% chance of having a few beers after work, and today’s forecast is 100%. So take everything I say with the grain of a salty seaman. I mean no harm. Unless you beg for it and provide the leather.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As far as the elsinore/ennuipoet dilema, I just put a bunch of the ones I won’t use into the yardsale pile. I think old things enjoy life more when they can still be used, rather than sit on a shelf/floor/garage/whatever – hence why I also like driving old cars, even if they’re not hot-rodded out. The to-go pile has a polaroid 600, two kodak instamatics, and a couple mamaiya/tower/sears 126’s and 35mm in less than working order.

Um..can you take some pictures and post with asking prices?

/doesn’t have a problem
    //really
    ///really really

and ravnostic: People have won Farktography contests with everything from shitty camera phones to shitty Holgas to top of the line Canon and Nikon full frame cameras. It’s not the camera so much as the person behind it 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

and ravnostic: People have won Farktography contests with everything from shitty camera phones to shitty Holgas to top of the line Canon and Nikon full frame cameras. It’s not the camera so much as the person behind it 😉

So, I need mirrors? 😛

orionid
    Participant

Um..can you take some pictures and post with asking prices?

/doesn’t have a problem
    //really
    ///really really

I think I might-could handle that.

ennuipoet
    Participant

ennuipoet: You’re speaking my language. As I sit here with my 23 or 25 some-odd cameras…

It hasn’t arrive there…yet. Just this weekend I added a YashicaMat and an old selenium light meter. My problem is I goof off on ebay and find things at bargain bin prices and just can’t stop the clicking finger.

Of course, that also works to my advantage on new stuff. I just picked up a Tamron 90mm Macro for half of retail.

Is there a support group I should be looking into?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If one has no problem with one’s Gear Acquisition Syndrome, one needs no support group, eh? 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘It’s Our Birthday, Precious’ is closed to new replies.