Kicking off the 2011-2012 Metro Phoenix theatre season

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Kicking off the 2011-2012 Metro Phoenix theatre season

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

Before or after a dress rehearsal is good – you don’t want to interrupt the flow of a real rehearsal, and it’s always better to be able to climb on stage, get close, and ask them to run the scene and “hold” if you need them to move slower than your lighting/shutter will allow.

These days, I get through a full set of production photos in about 60-90 minutes, including running up to the mezzanine and/or third balcony for the high-angle shots. You’ll want to get the director to give you a “shot list,” indicating which scene and actors will be used.

Shooting theatrical work is a lot more collaboration than some other photography I’ve done.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Well, for the moment, I know the theater tech people want/need some shots for student portfolios, so I’m shooting the building of the set next week.

As for shooting rehearsals and “stuff” I think we’ll be playing it by ear as I get the feeling they may not know exactly what they want right away as it’s been a while since they’ve had a dedicated photographer. I’ll definitely take your advice into account and once I get my sea legs begin to get gently assertive as we figure out what everyone want/needs. I think I’m going to stay off the stage and stay out of the way until they get comfortable with me, and I them. This is new for all of us. The first show’s in a “black box” theater, so getting “on” the stage won’t be as hard as when they do Hairspray on the main stage. (Current show is “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”)

caradoc
    Participant

Joseph Kremer playing the titular character in Sarah Ruhl’s “Dead Man’s Cell Phone” for Actors Theatre of Phoenix, directed by Matthew Wiener.

caradoc
    Participant

“The Last Days of Judas Iscariot” is on stage for Stray Cat Theatre, and getting solid reviews!

caradoc
    Participant

Production photos for “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot” have been posted.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Kicking off the 2011-2012 Metro Phoenix theatre season’ is closed to new replies.