Lens Rental Companies

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk Lens Rental Companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

We’re planning on renting some glass for Hawaii and want to make our reservation this week. I compared about 10 different sources for rental glass, LensRentals.com seemed to have good prices + the right kind of attitude + a functional website. Any one have any knowledge of them or other recommendations?

Also debating what we should actually rent. We ruled out super telephoto because there won’t be as much opportunity to use it and macro because we have enough. Currently looking at:

Nikon 24mm f/1.4
    Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5

This is what we already own:

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    55-200mm f/4-5.6
    18-105mm f/3.5-5.6
    24mm f/2.8
    50mm f/1.4
    70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
    8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    60mm f/2.8 macro
    200mm f/2.8 macro

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve used LensRentals before and all went smoothly. It was a while ago and only once, but given that and the fact that I’ve never heard anything bad about them, I’d recommend them.

olavf
    Participant

I can ask Kari (Lady_Nocturne) later this evening if you like. I know she’s used a rental company a few times in the past…

I’d say the 10-20 would be a good bet. Looks like you’ve got most of the range covered, but something else I’d consider would be picking one or two of your favorite lenses and make sure you both have one 😉

orionid
    Participant

You forgot to list the 140mm f/1.4 soda can, lens baby, loreo 3d, loreo toy, and Thor (an 800-1600mm f/5.6-16 behemoth that probably wasn’t worth the $100 I spent on it).

orionid
    Participant

I can ask Kari (Lady_Nocturne) later this evening if you like. I know she’s used a rental company a few times in the past…

I’d say the 10-20 would be a good bet. Looks like you’ve got most of the range covered, but something else I’d consider would be picking one or two of your favorite lenses and make sure you both have one 😉

That’s why we were looking at another 24, so we wouldn’t fight over it.

sleeping
    Participant

I think the 10-20 is probably the most useful of the options you’re listing. Unless your 70-300 is the horrible G version I’m not sure I’d bother with the 80-400 (and if it is the 70-300mm VR might still be a better choice, it’s quite a lot lighter and faster to focus)

If you get the 24mm/1.4 you should probably get a 77mm ND filter to go with it – in daylight you won’t be able to get to F1.4 without it, and if you’re not using it wide open you might as well stick with the F2.8

sleeping
    Participant

Oh, and the *other* exotic 24mm might be more fun, too: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/lenses/specialty/nikon-24mm-f3.5d-pc-e

orionid
    Participant

Oh, and the *other* exotic 24mm might be more fun, too: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/lenses/specialty/nikon-24mm-f3.5d-pc-e

Heh. I looked at that one hard. I like the thought of using T/S the way a large format would operate by widening the DoF for things like sweeping beaches in front of the Ko’olaus. Kestrana was worried she might use it for such irreverent things as miniaturizing the Arizona Memorial.

Oh, and the 70-300 is the first-gen VR with IF and EG for DX size sensors. I’m convinced it’s got an optical element slightly out of whack. It’s never been tack-sharp since I’ve had it, even in manual focus, unless I’m at f/11 or better (and that’s still debatable). Then diffraction kicks in at f/16 and gets much worse at you go up to f/32.

sleeping
    Participant

That does sound like there might be something wrong with it. I have an old 70-300G that I haven’t sold because I don’t want to be responsible for inflicting it on anyone else, but the 70-300 VR I have is very sharp except at 300mm, where it’s OK, but definitely a bit softer if you look close.

zincprincess
    Participant

I have used Borrowlenses.com twice and would definitely use them again. Good products, good communication, good selection.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Rent a Canon Body and some decent L glass 😈

/obligatory!

Kestrana
    Participant

Rent a Canon Body and some decent L glass 😈

/obligatory!

Actually looked at renting a D3X, D700 or D7000.

/camera body rentals are crazy expensive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Lens Rental Companies’ is closed to new replies.