Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

http://www.space.com/13856-total-lunar-eclipse-rare-senelion.html

For the folks on the east coast US, or Europe, this won’t be visible (or at least not completely so.) For those on the West coast, though, the full phase eclipse will occur very near moonset, which of course is also very near sunrise, and if you know how to look for it, the sun and moon (due to atmospheric diffraction) will actually, for just a few minutes, be above the horizon simultaneously (or for all intent and purposes).

I’m going to try to cut out of work an hour early so I can get some shots before the rising sun blow out the moon completely. As always, we’ll see.

chupathingie
    Participant

hmmmm… I may have to stay sober friday night. Or get shitfaced really early….

orionid
    Participant

For places to the east of the Appalachian Range, this will, unfortunately, be a non-event. Although the moon will still be above the horizon when it begins to enter the Earth’s shadow at 6:33 a.m. EST, it initially is the penumbral shadow that first contacts the moon.

This shadow is so faint that at least three-quarters of the moon’s diameter must be immersed within it before you would have a chance of detecting it visually, either with your naked eyes or using an optical aid. That means, if you live in places such as Boston, New York or Miami, the moon will look perfectly normal as it sets.

GODDAMMITSOMUCH >.<

ravnostic
    Participant

It happens, Orionid Chances are the next one will be visible for you, and probably not for me (though I haven’t looked.) Depending whether I get off an hour early, i’ll either get the setting eclipsed moon over the Phoenix skyline, or over some desert mountains. We’ll see how it goes.

caradoc
    Participant

You’ll want to head southeast, Ravnostic. We’re looking at maybe driving down near Picacho. Otherwise, you’re going to have the Phoenix glow right where you don’t want it.

caradoc
    Participant

I’m backward. We’ll be heading toward Gila Bend, to the WEST, not southeast…

orionid
    Participant

It happens, Orionid Chances are the next one will be visible for you, and probably not for me (though I haven’t looked.) Depending whether I get off an hour early, i’ll either get the setting eclipsed moon over the Phoenix skyline, or over some desert mountains. We’ll see how it goes.

See, the problem is, it ALWAYS happens. For the last 14 years. Deployments, weather, or geography have conspired to make me miss every major and most minor astronomical events since Hale-Bopp. The last total solar eclipse on the east coast? I was in Hawai’i. The next Hawaian solar eclipse? I was in upstate NY. Lunar eclipses? Unseasonable rain.

Just watch my video of this past year’s persieds, on what the weather channel touted as a perfect, cloudless night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiK7xuUAVCg

ravnostic
    Participant

I feel ya, Orionid–my work schedule often precludes my astro-photographic wants. I’ve missed most of the meteor displays since I started there–and ALL of the good ones. It helps to live in a desert, though, regarding overcast skies (except in the summer).

Caradoc, I’ll be heading south if I get out early from work (I only asked for an hour, it will get me out of the valley and well on my way to Tucson). If not, when I get out, there won’t be time to drive anywhere–a rooftop shot, a downtown Phoenician backdrop–that’s what I’ll have time for and the proximity of. It is what it is. See Orionid’s comment.

chupathingie
    Participant

Well, poop. I’m socked in with freezing fog. so much for that I guess.

caradoc
    Participant

Fricking high clouds were rolling in toward the end, making things a bit hazy. This was the last shot before I completely lost definition.

lokisbong
    Participant

I Actually Made it for this eclipse! Woo Hoo!!!

Lunar Eclipse ! by lokisbong, on Flickr. First Eclipse I have ever witnessed. And that’s 42 years worth of misses until now! Unfortunatly I only took the tripod and camera and remote trigger and forgot the other batteries so I didn’t get totality. I saw it just didn’t get it on camera. Doh!

orionid
    Participant

Lunar Eclipse ! by lokisbong, on Flickr. First Eclipse I have ever witnessed. And that’s 42 years worth of misses until now! Unfortunatly I only took the tripod and camera and remote trigger and forgot the other batteries so I didn’t get totality. I saw it just didn’t get it on camera. Doh!

Awesome!

caradoc
    Participant

Woohoo! Looks like we were shooting at the same time…

chupathingie
    Participant

Nice shots, folks! Wish I could have seen it… karma conspired against me; I had to work til midnight (and drive for 3 hrs in the freezing fog). It looks pretty out there, but I HAD TO MISS THE FREAKIN ECLIPSE!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Nice shots, folks! Wish I could have seen it… karma conspired against me; I had to work til midnight (and drive for 3 hrs in the freezing fog). It looks pretty out there, but I HAD TO MISS THE FREAKIN ECLIPSE!

Wow! That’s beautiful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th’ is closed to new replies.