Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Wow! That’s beautiful!

Thank you! 🙂

I’d still rather have done a series of the eclipse…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Nice shots all around.

loki, congrats on witnessing your first eclipse. Hard to imagine the moon actually turns that color until you see it first hand.

chupathingie, that is a cool (no pun intended) shot. But, please keep that stuff out your way – I’m just not ready for full-blown winter yet.

ravnostic
    Participant

Caradoc–I knowhacha mean on the pollution. And my view directed upon it’s source, the greater Phoenix central region. Airport haze for days–and some high clouds. The clouds went away. The haze just got to be more evident.

Lokisbong— Composite? Because I’m no where near that range between the moon and the stars. Why, SAO 76920 is just beaming! And I can’t see 76971 nor 76972 at all. It’s a GREAT shot–I’d love to know how you did it.

I got interrupted from processing by a cool photowalk, and am overwhelmedwith 447 images (well, I deleted one, thus far) 😉 . I have stuff. I really do.

But for the moment, I’ll post a SOOC and a PP photo. Mind you, I took 70 photos, from 5:40 to 7:10 MST. I was bound by odds to get something right.

Here’s the SOOC. I have a friend who’s going to work with me on the PP; it’s a trio of exposures. I’m afraid this, the brightest, is pretty dark, and I wish I’d one brighter. But–for SOOC, I think it’s spiffy:

The second has a story, which I’ll copy/paste from G+, :

This shot was taken at 7:07am MST, overlooking downtown Phoenix.

Can you spot the totally eclipsed moon? (It reached totality at 7:06am). It’s there, I promise.

So I’m up there on the top deck of the parking garage when a coworker comes along and starts telling me “I should do this”, “You should change your f/stop to this”, “I know–outside of work this is what I do”, “I meant to bring my camera**”, and “Well, it’s over now, you’ll never see that in a photo–look at that pollution, the sky is too bright,” yada yada yada.

I politely told him I do a little picture-taking myself and I think I can. He then proceeded to show me two non-impressive (blurry as hell) pictures of the moon he’d taken with his 70-200 on a 20D body, but cut short his instructional lessons because he was due in at work (he was a day shift person.)

I muttered, “Good riddance” and took a few more shots–and this is one of them. Some post processing WAS called for (I wouldn’t say extravagant–it’s applied to fark ‘across total image and not cartoonish’ standards–yet it WAS considerable tweeking.) But don’t tell me I can’t do something when I put my mind to it.

**forgot that when I was posting on G+

Rant over, here’s the shot I got after it was ‘over’. Linked because it’s larger than I’d want to post here. (250K 960xwhatever)

https://plus.google.com/107857888121727893520/posts/2jD8E2HUFo4

clicky picture will embigg’in, same window.

I do have shots of just the moon, I haven’t gotten to pp’ing them yet.

Glad I wasn’t the only one trying and good shots by both of you!

lokisbong
    Participant

Rav. Not a composite. I just took a I believe it was 1 second exposure and then turned down the brightness a full stop or a bit more in Canons DPP. The ISO was at 800 I think. It was really Dark out by that point. I never realized how long that shadow has to chase the Moon to make it that pretty red color either.

orionid
    Participant

Nice shots, folks! Wish I could have seen it… karma conspired against me; I had to work til midnight (and drive for 3 hrs in the freezing fog). It looks pretty out there, but I HAD TO MISS THE FREAKIN ECLIPSE!

Please tell me this isn’t headed east. Lie if you must.

ravnostic
    Participant

Rav. Not a composite. I just took a I believe it was 1 second exposure and then turned down the brightness a full stop or a bit more in Canons DPP. The ISO was at 800 I think. It was really Dark out by that point. I never realized how long that shadow has to chase the Moon to make it that pretty red color either.

You know, we city folk, we forget how a clear sky can separate a bright source from it’s lesser brightly sourced surroundings and allow both to be seen. As you can see from the ones I posted, it ain’t happening within 10 miles of Phoenix (more like 100, really). But thanks for the info.

I feel like Jerry Seinfeld when Terry Hatcher told him they were real…and they were fabulous

**I missed it!!**

chupathingie
    Participant

Rav, I really like the eclipse with the cityscape in the foreground. The big reason I was so excited about this eclipse in particular was that with it so low to the horizon (my locale was in the perfect place to catch totality sitting on the horizon) that I could pick and choose what to have superimposed in the foreground. I had a farmhouse with a few trees surrounded by empty plains and a spot scouted out a mile away that left the place skylit on the horizon. I had it all planned out, and got to watch water crystallize instead. 🙁

Orionid, not to worry… that big cloud of fog is still here. It’s a little thinner than it was, and the temp is going up, so it’ll likely be gone before the day is out. We’ve had almost no wind the past few days, so it just parked on us.

(edit)The nice thing about this white stuff is that it plated out on everything. Random ice crystals in a layer about 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick and practically weightless, so it didn’t break tree limbs or kill power to neighborhoods.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Lunar eclipse, morning of Dec 10th’ is closed to new replies.