Me and the mountain lion (a hiking/photo story)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Me and the mountain lion (a hiking/photo story)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Well. So I went hiking today, the Sycamore Wilderness area up near Sedona. Got some lovely shots (they’re on my G+ profile, in a public album you can view if you’d like.)

I was capturing a neat uprising of rocks on a cliff, when I noticed some movement up there. It was way up there–300 feet, at least, probably more. But what hangs out on rock ledges like that? Mountain lions!! “Wild things” is coming up…

So I hastily get my 300mm lens out, and even with that he didn’t look too big. And the viewfinder-thingy? Well it only zooms so far, so I really couldn’t tell if I was getting the shot. I know I’ve gotten stunning moon images, though, so I focused, and bracketed all around that focus, hoping, PRAYING, that one of the shots came out crystal clear. I took like 30 shots of that lion.

When I get home, of course I just HAVE to load the pictures *yesterday* if not sooner, and I start going through them. I found one that looked pretty good. I corrected for lens aberration. I corrected for focus distance. I sharpened.

And I got the shot!!

…of the biggest damned squirrel I’ve ever seen in my life.

*so dissappoint.*

I didn’t know they made squirrels that big. Or maybe it was a beaver? I just can’t figure out what a beaver would be doing way up there. So I’m sticking with ‘damned big squirrel.’

…and now I’m off to cry. 😥

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Hey now, squirrels are wild animals, too! Thanks for the laugh, rav, sounds like something I’d do. 😉

orionid
    Participant

Nice!

ennuipoet
    Participant

Rav…for you own safety do NOT go a safari to Africa! Confusion about large predators is invariably fatal! 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Rav…for you own safety do NOT go a safari to Africa! Confusion about large predators is invariably fatal! 🙂

Which reminds me. Read about this a few months back in either American Photo or Outdoor Photographer:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/the-beetlecam-remote-controlled-camera-car-survives-lion-attack/

ennuipoet
    Participant

Which reminds me. Read about this a few months back in either American Photo or Outdoor Photographer:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/the-beetlecam-remote-controlled-camera-car-survives-lion-attack/

Those were amazing! I really have to learn how to build things.

lokisbong
    Participant

Lol. I feel for ya Rav. I did the same thing back before I had a decent camera but the “mountain lion” turned out to be a dirty as hell fox terrier. With collar. lol
    Those wildlife shots with the remote system Rock!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Me and the mountain lion (a hiking/photo story)’ is closed to new replies.