medium format film vs digital

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk medium format film vs digital

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

I’m salivating over the potential of 150+ megapixel and what I might-could do with that.

my 10MP NEF images are 10MB +/- files so even with a 1TB internal and a 1.5TB external backup …. ouch. but the detail and ability to crop would be great.

Curious
    Participant

Sorry to get your hopes up on that. 🙁 What makes it easy is the Canon DPP software. You just select the raw files you want to convert and click the batch convert button and voila. It’ll even resize them during conversion if you want.

since i got the L20 and the nikon transfer wizard i’ve been using it to import to the default save place in “my pictures” then running the windows camera wizard and importing to the designated organized folder. used to use a card reader but with the nikons it faster to import right from the camera. there’s no reason why that i know of that i couldn’t skip the default place and go right to my designated folder. then all i have to do is the jpeg conversion and rename the files/images at the same time. the plus is i save a step (and some storage) while the downside is having to manually delete the images from the camera.

guess i’ll go outside and bang out a few shots and try that.

ok that’s done. it’s not quite as easy as before but it’s not hard. add a step here take out a step or two there. plus the converted jpeg files are great. i used the very highest setting and while the resulting files are 1.5 times bigger than the ones i used to get shooting jpeg fine the detail and sharpness are much better. duh. another plus is now i’m doing what the cool kids do 🙂 still not sure how much i’ll use the NEF files but i have them and if my printing dreams come true they will be useful. fortunately the D3000 has a large buffer so i can still take another picture (or three) while the first one is being written to the card. can’t do that with the L20.

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL.

Curious
    Participant

and on a personal note this sites use of BBCode instead of HTML is driving me nuts.

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbcode It’s where I go when I have a brainfart and can’t remember the specific bbcode peculiarities.

to the left and below the comment box at “options” is a link to BBCode samples. i use it regularly 🙂 thanks anyway.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

to the left and below the comment box at “options” is a link to BBCode samples. i use it regularly 🙂 thanks anyway.

Never noticed that was a link. So now I’ve learned something from this thread, too!

orionid
    Participant

I’m salivating over the potential of 150+ megapixel and what I might-could do with that.

Aside from printing billboards, what would you do with that many pixels?

Whatever I wanted.

but the detail and ability to crop would be great.

This.

Seriously, when I look at anything done on large format, even in smaller sixes, it just has a “feel” or look of real life to it. The sharp areas seem to be even sharper, at first glance it almost feels as if the subject has been photoshopped in. Working with film sizes that large, I could still scan at a slightly lower resolution and still have amazing detail to work with.

/You can do billboards at less than 5 MP. They’re designed for being viewed from a distance, are equivalent to a 5×7-ish print.

olavf
    Participant

Curious you’ll be wanting this for your nef files:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=d48e808e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en

When I got my 20D, I was doing RAW+JPG for a while, until I realized that I wasn’t doing anything with the JPGs at all. I’m fairly sure that anything I publish gets tweaked a little.

if i can find a wizard like the camera and scanner one that will download the photos into my preexisting folders i’m golden.

shot some more tests this morning in just NEF and the camera and scanner wizard didn’t see them. but i did find an ok workaround using the NXviewer. it’s more time consuming but when i got done i had NEF files in a folder along with their jpeg counter parts. one odd thing is that as of this morning hovering over a jpeg image no longer brings up the little data box (the one with the image size, date taken, etc.) but hovering over a NEF image brings up a data box with much more info than the earlier one. it adds EXIF info. and speaking of odd, copying the NEF files into my organization folder added .01% to the width and height but didn’t change the file size in MB. i’m not happy about losing the data box on jpeg images and rebooting didn’t fix it.

I don’t have any more XP boxes, unfortunately (we had to move on to 7) so my ability to get into details is somewhat limited to memory, but I don’t think I got much data out of Win Explorer unless I actually looked at the image properties. As far as the wizards go, I’ve long found it much more efficient for me to manually download the pics via a card-reader and then deal with them, so I would never see that. I suspect my general work-flow is a bit different, and probably pretty non-standard =P

Curious
    Participant

Never noticed that was a link. So now I’ve learned something from this thread, too!

see this is why i like it here. you tell me something real technical and i tell you a handy hint and we’re even 🙂

…but I don’t think I got much data out of Win Explorer unless I actually looked at the image properties.

what i used it for most times was to check the file date. my images are arranged by camera used/main topic/subtopic/images. if i have a folder labeled “beach trip” and hover over an image the date helps me find what i want. my system works for me but relies on my remembering a lot of info related to when the picture was taken. it does however keep me from having a huge “flowers” folder with every flower photo i’ve ever taken for example. YMMV

orionid
    Participant

I have a sort of pseudo-memory-based heirarchy

YEAR -> FORMAT -> DATE/SUMMARY

Example:
    2010/digital/10-08 Harkness fall colors
    2010/film/holga/02-18 CP-Rail Trespassing

Curious
    Participant

quick follow up. soosh suggested i look into photo.net as a place to perhaps unload my darkroom struff. haven’t done that yet but i did find this thread that ties in here. it’s about scanning large format film and has the usual film vs digital stuff but also much more, i found it interesting. and scary when you look at some of the prices quoted. not really a place for the weak of wallet.

of course all this will become moot when i win the powerball and get one of these 50MP beauties

Curious
    Participant

one odd thing is that as of this morning hovering over a jpeg image no longer brings up the little data box (the one with the image size, date taken, etc.) but hovering over a NEF image brings up a data box with much more info than the earlier one. it adds EXIF info. i’m not happy about losing the data box on jpeg images and rebooting didn’t fix it.

all that is edited from my original post for back ground on this info. the windows RAW viewer has an “option” button and by using that and changing the file associations (unclicked jpeg in RAW viewer) i now have BOTH data boxes again. hovering over a RAW or NEF produces the size in pixels, MB etc and also EXIF data. it calls on the RAW viewer to get that. hovering over a jpeg image produces the pixel size, MBs, date taken, etc calling on the picture and fax viewer to do so. the only downside i can see now is when advancing through my photos in a folder i will have to use two viewers to see both RAW/NEF and jpeg. OTOH the RAW/NEF was converted to jpeg so the images are duplications anyway. since i really missed the date taken part this is setup is a plus.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘medium format film vs digital’ is closed to new replies.