Mid-level Nikons

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Mid-level Nikons

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Hey everybody, I’m thinking of buying a new DSLR some time within the next year, and I’d like some advice.

I’ve had my D40 for a bit over two years now, and it has been great as a beginner’s/learner’s camera-I think I’ve even gotten a few images out of it that weren’t entirely horrible. Lately, however, I’ve been feeling like I’ve outgrown it and that it’s time for a new camera. Since I have some relatively nice nikkor lenses and other nikon equipment already, I’d like to stick with Nikon cameras, which gives me a few options:

D90: Certainly within my price range, tried & true, and well respected (as far as I can tell). I may even be able to get another lens or equipment off my wishlist because of the lower price, which is certainly an advantage.

D7000: Also within the price range, and though it’s a bit more expensive than the D90, everything I’ve been reading has me seriously coveting this camera. I may be able to afford a slightly less expensive new lens as well, which would be nice. Still, I’m not sure I would really use the video much, and other than that, what’s the major advantage over the D90?

D300s: It might be a little out of my price range, but I have read several reviews of the other two that suggest they’re not worth it, and to just skip to the D300s. The disadvantage here would be that I probably couldn’t afford any additional lenses or equipment for a while. I’ve also heard rumblings that Nikon may be releasing the D400 soon, which would take the place of the D300 series (this seems suspect, however).

So I ask thee, O great and brilliant farktography community: what’s the best way to go?

Note: I hope I didn’t accidentally post this twice-the forum seems to have eaten my first attempt, though.

olavf
    Participant

/obligatory ‘buy a Canon’ post.

Personally, I’m hoping my camera lasts long enough to be able to get a full-frame sensor, but…WAY out of my price range right now =

ennuipoet
    Participant

Personally, I’m hoping my camera lasts long enough to be able to get a full-frame sensor, but…WAY out of my price range right now =

Well, since that is covered: “Buy a Pentax”…No, not really, why would anyone do that?

No seriously, the Pentax DSLR are awesome cameras, I slightly wish I’d bought one, it was lenses that made me go Canon.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

If I had it to do over again, I might well go Cannon, but as I’ve built up a kit of Nikon lenses and other equipment, I’d like to stay with Nikon to keep the cost manageable.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I just jumped from Canon to the D7000. It is really a phenomenal piece of equipment. My recommendation would be to bypass the D90 and grab a D7000. Most of the reviews I read before buying said it is actually better than the D300s. The 300 is a bit better weather sealed and has a few more AF points, but the 7000 blows it away in processor, metering, video, control layout, size, price etc etc… If your heart is set on the d300 I would wait a bit and see what the next incarnation is going to be.

Kestrana
    Participant

Everything I’ve read about the D7000 makes it seem worth the investment. But orionid has a D90 and he likes it.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Well damn, NoBigDeal, now you’ve just made me want it more. I wonder if I can raise the requisite funds before the end of the summer.

orionid
    Participant

From what I’ve read in side-by-sides, and gathered from some of NBD‘s posted test shots, the 7000 is far superior when it comes to high ISO noise.

stupido
    Participant

Well, since that is covered: “Buy a Pentax”…No, not really, why would anyone do that?

No seriously, the Pentax DSLR are awesome cameras, I slightly wish I’d bought one, it was lenses that made me go Canon.

I like my Pentax DSLRs. More so I like my collection of Pentax compatible glass. I went with Pentax as I had the lenses from my 35mm Pentax and Zenit cameras.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Mid-level Nikons’ is closed to new replies.