More changes to flickr, can’t share to fark.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill More changes to flickr, can’t share to fark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Just tried to post photos this week from work. I can’t login to my flickr from because boobies, but I’ve never had a problem sharing previously without login. Now flickr only gives pre-formatted code blocks with intelligible urls and “iframe.” Except fark strips iframes. Dafuq. Completely borked and possibly the nail in the coffin that makes me leave flickr for 500px permanently.

/I may be able to backdoor it when we get home, but we need to harass yahoo en masse about this. if people can’t easily fark from the internet’s largest photo host, farktography may be lost.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Don’t use flickr, so can’t help you there, but regarding this:

if people can’t easily fark from the internet’s largest photo host, farktography may be lost.

I stumbled upon a new Fark feature a couple of weeks back. I don’t know if it’s “legit” to use or something Fark’s looking to keep on the down low, but you can now upload photos directly to Fark without using an image host at all.

Using the new (default) button set, if you click on the Image button, there’s an Upload tab where you can select a file from your machine, upload it to Fark’s image cache, and reference it in your post. I tested it through a Preview cycle, but haven’t actually used it to post entries as I like to host them myself.

orionid
    Participant

Interesting find, CISS.

Regarding Flickr, I did some poking around. Flickr is beta-testing their new upgrades. If you’re logged in, you have a choice. If you’re not, you don’t. Unlike last time, they’re soliciting feedback. So far it ranges from slightly negative in a constructive manner to downright spiteful. I read nearly 5000 comments. Not one was positive. I suspect that it’s still going to be forced upon us, as many other sites I’m on have recently done in order to become more mobile friendly. Because having smart scripts that identify your device and load different variations of the page is sooooo 2012. Some days I seriously considering unplugging for good so I don’t have to be here when internet 1.0 collapses under it’s own weight.

stupido
    Participant

Maybe Flickr has had a change of heart? Without logging in I clicked on one of my pics and then clicked share this picture.
    It gave the site links and preformatted choices. One is a thumbtack.

It gives this:
    8739284387_cb780481d8.jpg

Which has a proper img URL.

stupido
    Participant

I tried the Fark scratchpad and was able to post a pic with the url “https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/8739284387_cb780481d8.jpg”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I seriously hate the new page for photos. The font is horrible, the whole design is just unbalanced and “off”, and there’s no obvious way to get back to the photostream or your various menu options like recent activity or flickrmail (Basically you have to click on your name to go back to your photostream, THEN you can access the menu bar. Clunky as hell.)

Having said that, it looks like you can still get the old HTML, but it’s not as intuitive or user friendly as it used to be. Now you click the “share” button which is the box with the arrow sticking out of it. Once there, in addition to directly sharing on various social media, you have a choice to use embedded iframe code or html. The kicker is that it defaults to iframe and medium size whereas it used to remember your previously used choice. I almost posted a medium sized photo the other day because it had defaulted to medium (I usually post the original photo/size). So be sure you click html and whichever size preference you have.

Yahoo is really fucking Flickr up; I’m not very optimistic for its long term future…

linguine
    Participant

Yahoo is really fucking Flickr up; I’m not very optimistic for its long term future…

I haven’t liked any of the changes that theyve been making over the past year. I think the only thing keeping me with flickr is that I’ve already put the time in to tag and organize everything there.

caradoc
    Participant

I had a really good experience with using Upload Junction to migrate ALL of my photos from Flickr to Zenfolio. Now I’m just sorting and updating permissions on them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘More changes to flickr, can’t share to fark.’ is closed to new replies.