My 0.02$, or why I like Farktography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill My 0.02$, or why I like Farktography

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

There is some discussion in the “Can’t fight city hall” theme thread about how things work. Since I’m new here I’m not sure it’s for me to offer input into that subject, but it got me to reviewing my thoughts on why I’m here.

Why I like Farktography:

– The fact that it exists in the first place
    – The fact that there is a population of voters interested enough to participate
    – Tolerance of noobs
    – Mostly unstructured
    – Members who are vastly more talented than myself from whom I can learn to improve my craft
    – The contest is more about your own growth than a reward

As a photographer, I languished for many years taking snapshots at gatherings or outings. Like many, I let my interest take a back seat.

This is an environment that helps me “get over the hump” so to speak, that little nudge I need to Get Out There.

Thank you to everyone here.

Yoyo
    Participant

I like Farktography because it forces me to reexamine my photos.

I dislike Farktography because I don’t have time to go out and shoot photos specifically for it. Er, maybe that should be I dislike my job because it doesn’t afford me the time to go out and take photos, and Farktography reminds me of this.

Edit: Perhaps I should have used “permission” instead of “time” above. I manage my work well enough that I can find the time for almost anything.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I like Farktography because it forces me to reexamine my photos.

I dislike Farktography because I don’t have time to go out and shoot photos specifically for it. Er, maybe that should be I dislike my job because it doesn’t afford me the time to go out and take photos, and Farktography reminds me of this.

I suspect many of us are in this position timewise. I was tempted to be frustrated by it, but I remind myself that I am in this for fun.

In the current contest, my photograph “To Kill A Mockingbird” is of a fully restored turn of the previous century courtroom “in the next town over” from me. While it’s not getting many votes, it was my favorite of the bunch (apparently that is the way voting works). I was late getting there with the intent of shooting the outside of the building in sunset, so no go. I started using the exterior lighting anyways and a lady walked by and asked me if I wanted to photograph inside. In my previous life I would have been frustrated that I didn’t get there on time or not gone at all. Had it worked out my way, I would have never made it inside.

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t always have time to shoot specifically for themes (this week was one of those) but whenever I have time to take my camera out and just shoot, I do, so I have a big archive to pull from. Something like next week’s Triptychs I will have to shoot for though.

But the reasons you like Farktography are the reasons I think we all like Farktography, and we’re happy to have you here 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘My 0.02$, or why I like Farktography’ is closed to new replies.