New baby + n00b photographer = ?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery New baby + n00b photographer = ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

I have neighbors/friends that just had their first child. I offered to take pictures of the new baby to give myself some practice with new babies. It was a learning experience in a lot of ways. I’m generally pleased with a few of the shots but I realize that I could have done better or more in others. My goal was to have about 10-15 shots that I’m pleased with. I’m still processing but I think I will meet that goal.

Here are a few of my favorites.

The rest are in a set on flickr:
    DSC_0103_e

olavf
    Participant

The first of the three I’d personally tweak the curves a bit so he’s not quite so high-key/atonal. Otherwise, well done!

Kestrana
    Participant

Way to challenge yourself to move outside your comfort zone!

Farktographer
    Participant

My brother and sis-in-law take my nieces to a wonderful photographer in San Diego. I really love her photos and style – it’s the type of portraiture I wish I could do with my nieces. My sis-in-law told me that when they’re really little, one of the tricks is that the photographer turns the heat up in her house really really high (like 90) and the baby becomes really malleable. You can position them into all sorts of really cute poses and they stay that way, fully happy. A little tip in case you decide to give it another go.

zincprincess
    Participant

I have talked to a couple of photographers who do newborn photography. The key to the sleeping malleable baby is their age. At about 7-14 days old is the optimum time. After that, they start developing their muscles and are not so easy to pose. This baby was 4 weeks old and had recently lost some hair and developed baby acne. Also, he was not at all interested in sleeping. The family had professional shots taken at 14 days and the baby was asleep in all of them.

Also, the heat is a good idea. The mom told me that the pro used a hair dryer to soothe the baby.

zincprincess
    Participant

Also, I took olavf‘s advice and went back to photoshop with the first picture.

orionid
    Participant

I think the redux looks quite lovely.

Yoyo
    Participant

I read the headline and was prepared for the worst. It doesn’t help that I was looking at a website showcasing fauxtographers last night: blur, bad borders, strange spot color, bad props,….

I think these are actually very good. I didn’t even notice the pimples on his forehead, until you metioned it. I like all the shots you posted on Flickr. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the red horse on dad’s shirt since it draws my attention away from the family, especially in the color shots.

lokisbong
    Participant

Nice pictures. Especially like the one you redid with photoshop. And the one with mom and kid in the window seat.

zincprincess
    Participant

I read the headline and was prepared for the worst. It doesn’t help that I was looking at a website showcasing fauxtographers last night: blur, bad borders, strange spot color, bad props,….

Was it this one?

http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Because I was laughing at it recently. And then I made sure I didn’t make any of those mistakes with my friend’s kid, or my kid.

orionid
    Participant

Was it this one?

Because I was laughing at it recently. And then I made sure I didn’t make any of those mistakes with my friend’s kid, or my kid.

Some of those are hilarious.

Yoyo
    Participant

Was it this one?

That’s the one. Just remember, no photographer is ever truely worthless. He can always serve as a bad example. Perhaps his whole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others of what not to do.

orionid
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘New baby + n00b photographer = ?’ is closed to new replies.