Night sky tutorial video I stumbled upon.

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Night sky tutorial video I stumbled upon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I found what seems to me like a pretty good video tutorial on night sky photography. He doesn’t seem to work towards astronomical type stuff. More like landscapes with awesome star backdrops. http://shuttersalt.com/blog/10-examples-incredible-starry-night-sky-photography-and-how-video So does what he says seem like good advice? He doesn’t really go into equipment much because he says we will all have different stuff.

Farktographer
    Participant

I’ve always been scared to push my ISO that far for fear of the noise, but maybe I could give it a shot next time I do astrophotos…it’d make for some nice landscaping, since pretty much all my shots wind up with black foregrounds unless I have the moon behind me.

kashari
    Participant

Thanks for posting that link. There are some really awesome pictures & I watched his video, he’s a cool dude!

chupathingie
    Participant

Good advice (and some great photos). If you’re planning on just publishing to the web, or reduced sized prints, run that ISO up as high as you can get. Reduction hides noise very well.

Only thing I’d add to what he said is that depending on the quality of your glass, you may want to close the aperture by 1 or 2 stops if you’re using a long lens to cut down on chromatic aberration. I’ve got a 75-300mm EF lens that shows very obvious purple halos around stars when used wide open. It’s only an issue at full resolution (or close to it), so disregard if you’re planning on reducing the image size for something like a 1080 timelapse video.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll have to watch this video later; but looking forward to it! (After all, the telescope ALSO makes a fine piggyback mount for wider-view star shots–I can go steady for scenic with trails, or tracking for star fields alone, or photoshop one onto the other with masks…)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Night sky tutorial video I stumbled upon.’ is closed to new replies.