Oh, hai! Total eclipse, from my backyard!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Oh, hai! Total eclipse, from my backyard!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

(well, more or less my back yard)

May 20th, 2012, Tuba City Az.

Okay, so it’s Tuba City. But there’s some neat stuff around Tuba City to shoot while we wait. At 5:30pm, the lighting will start getting strange–the sun will be nibbled away! This, if you haven’t seen it, creates some wild shadow effects–and we get to see it from scratch on through!

Then, at 6:37pm, With the sun just 7 degrees above a negative horizon we’ve laid before us, the earth’s atmosphere should impart a beautiful red haze to the ring of light 1 arc-minute wide and completely surrounding the moon. Filters will be a must, of course, but the scene should be breathtaking. 30 minutes later, the moon still half covering the sun, set together in the west.

All this assumes the weather complies.

I posted this over at G+, but if anyone else doesn’t have plans…it’s not like we get these every day…the next time I think is 2017…

It’s annular, which kinda sucks–until you consider the horizon and atmosphere. It could be really, really cool.

Yoyo
    Participant

I should be able to make it. I’m only the next state over. Send me an email reminder. 😉

chupathingie
    Participant

hmmmm…. I’m not at all shy about a roadtrip under 1000 miles… plus Tuba City’s like 1/2 hr south of the Grand Canyon. Now, if there’s a need for off-road, I would gladly roll out there in the jeep…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Oh, hai! Total eclipse, from my backyard!’ is closed to new replies.