old old roll fim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

as you all may know/remember i had a 4 x 5 Crown Graphic complete with 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 (6 x 9) roll film backs. sold it to orionid a while back and when he was checking it out he found i’d left a roll of film in one of the backs. he was nice enough to return it and i got it processed.

now this was TriX pan and had been in the back for probably 25+ years. it hadn’t kept too well. here is one frame. seems i had been photography an old photo, probably to try and reprint and restore it. guess i’ll have to reshoot that. 🙂

when i got the film processed i ask for a contact sheet along with the film. i have never seen one like this. how the heck did they take medium format film and make a 35mm contact sheet? the folks at the camera store couldn’t tell me. on the plus side it was only $.95.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Whoa, that’s cool it turned out at all, though!

sleeping
    Participant

how the heck did they take medium format film and make a 35mm contact sheet? the folks at the camera store couldn’t tell me. on the plus side it was only $.95.

I bet it’s a digital fake made from film scans rather than an actual contact sheet.

Curious
    Participant

how the heck did they take medium format film and make a 35mm contact sheet? the folks at the camera store couldn’t tell me. on the plus side it was only $.95.

I bet it’s a digital fake made from film scans rather than an actual contact sheet.

i’d go for that. what annoyed me was the camera store that sent the film for processing couldn’t explain it. i specifically ask why they didn’t take the sleeved negs and lay them down on a photosensitive piece of paper — and got a blank look. at that point i gave up.

hey, while i have your attention my epson 4990 photo scanner is still messing up the thumbnail selection. using the 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 mask and i end up with 1.34 x 2.21 thumbnails. so my one frame becomes three thumbnails. i had hoped that when i installed the win7 divers on this new computer that problem would go away. found a work around but will have to give the tech folks another call.

sleeping
    Participant

You might want to give vuescan a try. I’ve been using it instead of the Nikon software with an old 35mm scanner, and it works pretty well for that. http://www.hamrick.com/

Curious
    Participant

You might want to give vuescan a try. I’ve been using it instead of the Nikon software with an old 35mm scanner, and it works pretty well for that. http://www.hamrick.com/

it looks good but the “do we support your scanner” thing doesn’t mention using masks. that’s really where my problem is. the medium format stuff. 35mm and 4×5 are fine.

do you have the standard or professional version?

sleeping
    Participant

I have the pro version. I don’t know how it works with flatbeds, but it’s a bit more manual than the (no longer updated) Nikon software for the 35mm scanner – I basically have to designate the scan area for one frame and then it does the rest automatically….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We have Vuescan and use it with the 35mm and medium format masks on our Epson 4490 with no problems.

Curious
    Participant

thanks both of you. one more thing to get in the way of saving for that D7000 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘old old roll fim’ is closed to new replies.