"Old Sacramento"

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery "Old Sacramento"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

There’s a chunk of Sacramento that, for a long period, time kind of forgot. When they built I-5 way back when, there were these several blocks that were wedged between the river, and the new freeway, that effectively cut off the neighborhood from the rest of town. So, for many years it was forgotten. Most of the buildings are 19th-Century, and those, after the levees were started in the early 1900’s, you enter the buildings on what was originally the second floor.

A number of years ago, it started to get re-discovered, but became a joke. For example, I posted yesterday that we were down there, and somebody retorted “is that one candy shop still there?” because it was just weird. If you wanted salt-water taffy, that was the place to go. Otherwise, just a forgotten piece of history.

It’s becoming a new place though, finally. People go there just to walk around. There are new shops, and new buildings (that are built to fit the neighborhood, thankfully) and people are starting to redevelop and put loft apartments in. The State put their railroad museum there, and it’s a huge chunk of the local ‘vibe’.

I think it’s Kat and my favorite place to go people-watching now. There are so many people, and any day you go, there’s something to see, and photograph…

All taken Saturday, 8/14/10

ravnostic
    Participant

Lovely candid shots (well they certainly look candid.) Didn’t have any problems with that? I esp. like the couple embracing by the waterfront and the kid with the camera thereafter.

olavf
    Participant

They’re all candid. I generally try and be somewhat discreet about the whole thing, though I think I need to figure out how to change that. Sometimes audience participation is okay, but engaging them is my weak point 😛

The two you mentioned are funny. They were both taken on an excursion train. The kid was on the train with us, so like 6′ away. The couple, well I saw them on the way out, and figured they’d still be there on the way back. That was hand-held, 300mm zoom from a moving platform. I’m surprised it came out at all 😛

soosh
    Participant

Do you have any shots a little wider that show the architecture of the place at all? It sounds really cool. Love the candid shots you got.

olavf
    Participant

I can’t think of anything, but I’ve used the place before. The architecture is pretty much late 1800’s Western, and somewhat cluttered by modern elements (like cars and such), so difficult to photograph well 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

Old Town Sacramento by kestrana, on Flickr

That’s from when I was there.

ravnostic
    Participant

olavf While shooting for ‘have a seat’, A guy noticed me taking pics, then sat in the bench I was shooting. I just asked him if he’d mind, and he was fine with it, so long as I emailed him a copy. Don’t know if I’ll use the picture (didn’t like how it came out), but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I think the key may have been I was already shooting a scene and he was curious as to why.

olavf
    Participant

Kestrana, yeah, that’s Second Street, right where one comes out of the parking structure under I-5. It’s pretty quintessential Old Sac architecture.

(these are a few I have handy from other trips)

I don’t have any good pics of the architecture handy, it seems, orionid. I’ll have to dig through the archives and see what there is to be had. I know there’s a few that give a good feel, but they’re not handy, it seems :/

ravnostic, I need to do that more, but part of what I like about people-watching is their general lack of awareness that I’m watching them. As I start photographing more ‘personalities’, I suspect that will change, and I’ll have to engage them more to get the stuff I want.

orionid
    Participant

I don’t have any good pics of the architecture handy, it seems, orionid.

I’ll take that as a compliment if you’re confusing me with soosh. 😆

olavf
    Participant

d’oh. I was having a bad computer night last night. So I blame that 😛

aprillove20
    Participant

old Sacramento still looks good especially the Kestrana Second Street . i

could just remember the old times it was a wonderful memory with my dad

in old Sacramento.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘"Old Sacramento"’ is closed to new replies.