Opening a can of worms.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Opening a can of worms.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

I don’t mind the one use rule. It keeps things fresh and makes us get out and shoot. That being said I wouldn’t have a problem with the “Top Ten” rule or the “Three Year” rule either.

Curious
    Participant

i like the one use rule although i’ve run afoul of it once or twice. it does keep the contests fresh and unless you are archive diving isn’t a problem. and even then as others have suggested there are work arounds. especially so since we can’t post our original photos but have to at least resize them.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I am a strong proponent of the One Shot/One Thread Rule. By eliminating previously used shots it forces me to go out and shoot more. It also forces me to think creatively about what I am shooting. Admittedly, I am a moderately prolific shooter with an image archive spanning years and approaching 10K images, so I can rely on that archive to have something I can MAKE fit a theme, others may not have that safety net.

As far as organizing, I label all my FTog Shots with that in the metadata and post them to a specific Flickr set which I can rapidly review.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

i’m all for re-using, especially as i have a few (quite good) photos that i posted way late or for whatever reason never garnered more than 3 votes. i have a potential “killer” weather photo that i had used and was ignored–long exposure self-portrait while holding an umbrella and lightning bolt across the purplish sky.

anyway. definitely a vote for re-using.
    i’m not against adding a statement that it is a re-post, used for such-and-such theme.

zincprincess
    Participant

I like the no re-use rule. One, it is a straightforward rule which means it’s easier to police. Two, I like having new content each week and a new challenge for me. I think Elsinore pointed out in another thread that history indicates a photo that didn’t fare well in one contest, it isn’t likely to do better in another. That being said, I could get behind a regular “You gave it your best and your best wasn’t good enough” contest for shots that didn’t make the top 10 (or whatever) but you thought really rocked.

orionid
    Participant

After reading above and much thought, I’d be okay with retire the top tens, 11-infinity re-use at will. But, for the sake of policing, and forcing myself (and others) to go out and shoot, I voted for one shot, one kill. Err…. one shot, one theme.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I’m completely OK with the one-time use limit. What’s always rubbed me the wrong way with this is that some folks (and no disrespect intended ’cause you are totally within the rules) will use a virtually identical shot and can say “Well this one was 155.jpg and that one was 156.jpg taken .05 seconds apart.” Or have very, very similar snaps from the same shooting session, and then use them in 3-4 different contests that all pull off top-3 finishes. That’s frustrating to me.

I could certainly back the top-10s only retired proposal. I don’t see any harm in it. There’s also a thick line between the OP scenario of forgetting what you have used after 5 years, and only having one top 10 ever and trying to milk it for 5 different contests. Bah well… that’s my .02

Curious
    Participant

I’m completely OK with the one-time use limit. What’s always rubbed me the wrong way with this is that some folks (and no disrespect intended ’cause you are totally within the rules) will use a virtually identical shot and can say“Well this one was 155.jpg and that one was 156.jpg taken .05 seconds apart.” Or have very, very similar snaps from the same shooting session, and then use them in 3-4 different contests that all pull off top-3 finishes. That’s frustrating to me.

I could certainly back the top-10s only retired proposal. I don’t see any harm in it. There’s also a thick line between the OP scenario of forgetting what you have used after 5 years, and only having one top 10 ever and trying to milk it for 5 different contests. Bah well… that’s my .02

the part in bold is how you get around the scarlet R trap.

while i agree in principal i have been known to use shots from the same session. not so much because they are guaranteed winners but because they fit multiple themes. and as many have said “man i should have saved that for ____” and that does happen to us all.

of course in my case my one wining photo was from a series of the katrina destroyed bridge at bay st louis. that series has netted me that 1st, a 2nd, an 18th, a 26th, a 33rd and a 65th. so while the photos have been useful they sure aren’t guaranteed winners.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Opening a can of worms.’ is closed to new replies.