Ordering from US vendor -experiences for Canadians

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Ordering from US vendor -experiences for Canadians

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jwareham
    Participant

Hi all,

New here. I notice that several of you talk about B&H photo in NY (bhphotovideo.com)

I have a question about ordering from Canada, if any of you have. The price on the equipment that I am looking at is about $250 cheaper than from a Canadian vendor even with the exchange rate. What I am curious about are duties or other cost that might be added in. Have any fellow Canadians ordered any gear from these guys around the $750.00 dollar range? What are your experiences with them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jamie

3Horn
    Participant

What I am curious about are duties or other cost that might be added in.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jamie

You Canuckistanis have some weird tax laws, but I’m sure that it would be equivalent in reverse. Anyhow, here ya’ go, you might wanna give ’em a call and get a ballpark estimate.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

orionid
    Participant

Depending exactly where you live, I’ve dealt with several Canadians on ebay who just use a US Post Office box in a bordertown to get around the mail inspections and taxes.

Kiroh
    Participant

Duty will vary by class of item. As mentioned before you might have to call CBSA to find out what the duty is for camera equipment.

As far as taxes go, the last time I bought something from the States was about 10 years ago; all I had to pay was GST. The shipping company collected it (It was DHL if I remember correctly).

soosh
    Participant

having it mailed to a 3rd party in the US who then mails it discreetly to you is also an option, though, you know, illegal, being smuggling and all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Ordering from US vendor -experiences for Canadians’ is closed to new replies.