Overheard In A Camera Shop

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Overheard In A Camera Shop

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Customer: Hi, I am looking for a Canon lens

Shopkeeper: Certainly, which one specifically or what’s the purpose?

Customer: I am looking for a lens that can shoot pictures with sharp foreground objects and sharp background objects.

Shopkeeper: Right, you mean a lens that is good for close ups and landscape?

Customer: Well, not exactly, I want a lens to shoot pictures that everything is in not blurry, especially not those blurry backgrounds with people

Shopkeeper: hm?

Customer: Should I buy the 70-200 2.8 IS II? What do you think I should buy?

Shopkeeper: I think you should buy a photography book first.

The shopkeeper proceeded to show the customer a photography book, but he decided to leave.

From this Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/fzhnh/overheard_in_a_camera_shop/

Curious
    Participant

to keep the sale the shopkeeper should have super glued the aperture to f22 and sold the guy a lens.

or not 🙂

orionid
    Participant

to keep the sale the shopkeeper should have super glued the aperture to f22 and sold the guy a lens.

or not 🙂

HAHAHAHA!!!

Hmmm….. maybe there’s a profit to be made selling “Anti-bokeh” lenses.

linguine
    Participant

or not 🙂

HAHAHAHA!!!

Hmmm….. maybe there’s a profit to be made selling “Anti-bokeh” lenses.

Well no ones ever lost money by overestimating human stupidity.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

what’s a camera shop?
    is that anything like the photo section in best buy?

the only local store closed years ago……

orionid
    Participant

Reading the comments in the original thread, this made me both laugh and cringe:

doomsurf: Reminds me when I used to work in a camera shop, and once convinced one of my colleagues you didn’t need to upgrade the body of digital camera anymore, you could just upgrade the sensor. Watching him describe to a customer you could buy ‘a bag of mega pixel’ and ‘sprinkle’ it in behind the lens was awesome. For some reason he didn’t close the sale. They’ll hire anyone at Jessops.

admiraljohn: … please tell me you’re exaggerating or kidding.

Please…

doomsurf: Its the truth. He was even my supervisor at the time. It was the strand store when I was a student. When the staff above you don’t know what ‘SLR’ abbreviates from, you gotta strike back! One time I had to take a return because my manager sold someone a Canon body with a Nikon Lens. Oh! (this is bringing back memories) on of my superiors at the time once ‘cleaned’ a customers 5D sensor with canned air. Shook the can, and squirted cold moisture al round the insides. Priceless

mjs1234: Note to self: DON’T shop at Jessops

doomsurf: They fought back though. They cut my negatives across the frames instead of the gaps last time I got some processing done. They said I could get 500 prints for free as compensation. I’m thought about taking 500 slides to be scanned and printed as revenge. But they’d probably loose them. Totally. Don’t shop at jessops.

nik_doof: I thought he was joking up until I spotted “Jessops”, they hardly have a reputation for knowledgeable staff.

chupathingie
    Participant

Funny this should come up… yesterday I was in a sci-fi mood while having a smoke break, and I wondered what it would take to actually pull this off (hey, I’m just the visionary for this project, it’s up to someone with actual brains to collect the Nobel in physics for the lab work). So, someone needs to develop a material that has an Index of Refraction that varies with the angle of incidence of the incoming light. While they’re at it, they might want to come up with something that varies the IOR with frequency so we can have single-element APOs as well. 😆

ravnostic
    Participant

Funny this should come up… yesterday I was in a sci-fi mood while having a smoke break, and I wondered what it would take to actually pull this off (hey, I’m just the visionary for this project, it’s up to someone with actual brains to collect the Nobel in physics for the lab work). So, someone needs to develop a material that has an Index of Refraction that varies with the angle of incidence of the incoming light. While they’re at it, they might want to come up with something that varies the IOR with frequency so we can have single-element APOs as well. 😆

From whom are you getting the smokes with which to have these breaks, and does he ship to Arizona?

/not for myself, mind you; my neighbor wants to know.

chupathingie
    Participant

heh… normally, by the time I get to take a break the delerium is already well on it’s way to insanity…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Overheard In A Camera Shop’ is closed to new replies.