Palo Duro Canyon – Late March?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Palo Duro Canyon – Late March?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

I know a couple of ya’ll live up that direction and/or have visited. Thinking of making a long weekend trip up to Palo Duro Canyon, probably the last week end of March – wondering if that’ll be late enough for some color / green to be out and the night temps to be reasonable.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Don’t know if you’re looking for company or just weather predictions ‘Cuda, but afraid I can’t help ya with either. The pix on wikipedia show it to be a pretty cool place so it sounds like a great time, though.

Last I knew, chupathingie was pretty close to there and could probably help out with info, but I’m not sure how actively he monitors the forums.

Barracuda
    Participant

Thanks CISS, got in touch with chup, expect some killer photos from the two of us come early April. Plans are starting to take shape. Planning on Caprock Canyon hiking on Friday, Palo Duro on Sat/Sunday, staying in one of the canyon rim cabins on Sunday night in hopes of getting some star trails or at least time lapse shots.

Barracuda
    Participant

Got a hold of Chupe, planning on meeting up with him when I get up that way. Also decided to rent a 70-300L and 8mm fisheye for the trip to try out some different lenses. Really hoping I don’t fall in love with that 70-300 compared to my Tamron of the same focal length.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Planning on Caprock Canyon hiking on Friday, Palo Duro on Sat/Sunday, staying in one of the canyon rim cabins on Sunday night in hopes of getting some star trails or at least time lapse shots.

Yeah, you’re not making this any easier on me, ‘Cuda. If I wasn’t neck-deep in this rewrite and already committed to a spring break week w/ my sons, I’d love to explore some of that part of the country with y’all.

One of these days, we ought to make a serious effort toward a midwest farktographer’s meet ‘n greet; seems like we all enjoy the outdoors, so it’d just be a matter of scheduling.

Anyway, looking forward to the pix…

Barracuda
    Participant

Are you close enough for a day trip? But yeah, I’m all for a landscape photo trip somewhere semi-centrally-located to the mid-west/mid-south crew.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m in south Tulsa, so Amarillo is definitely out of day trip range.

Barracuda
    Participant

Suppose it would be. Perhaps Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in the late spring or fall? Seems semi-equa-distant with some good scenery and such.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s got potential. I haven’t seen much of that part of the state aside from driving through it a couple of times. Would definitely have to be fall or next spring, though.

Barracuda
    Participant

Working through my pile of photos from the trip. I’ll post up a thread in the Gallery shortly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Palo Duro Canyon – Late March?’ is closed to new replies.