Pandora

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Oh yeah, it’s also great for listening to stuff you don’t want to buy. For me, with three girls, that would be Hannah Montana, Hillary Duff, Jonas Bothers, etc. I set up a Hannah Montana station and it plays all that stuff.

Shoutcast just set up a browser player too, if you want to try going from mildly eclectic to wildly eclectic. They’ve got a ton of craaaazy foreign stations, so you can say stuff like “Oh yeah, you can totally hear the Sufi influence on his Zurna! It almost sounds like Pashtuns playing Turkish folk.”
    They aren’t so great for everything between top 10 hits and random collections of letters like “Srbija”, but man, they sure have the extremes covered.

And of course, as bad as Hannah Montana might seem now, before you know it one’ll be running around with some twerp in a Joy Division cover band. Another will be listening to some gay ass rap that you can’t even make out the lyrics to. Another will be listening to Finntroll or some crap, and you’ll be trying to explain that she is not a goddamn wood elf or whatever the hell she’s talking about, and if she wants wooden hands so freaking bad you’ll tape some pencils on her fingers so she can do her goddamn homework.

(My niece is a myspace friend of Finntroll. I have to keep reminding myself she isn’t 5 years from being born anymore.)

orionid
    Participant

Another will be listening to some gay ass rap that you can’t even make out the lyrics to.

Ha! Reminds me of a portcall in France where we were walking (stumbling) down the sidewalk and this dude pulls up in a tiny little pugeot crackerbox with his stereo blaring some sort of french rap while he was shouting along with it making gang signs or something at us. At which point, without hesitation, our token Puerto Rican started shouting at him in Spanish, and our token “guy who knows a little bit of every language ever spoken” began shouting in German and made a heil sign. The pugeot actually left a little skidmark as the dude took off.

linguine
    Participant

Totally off subject but totally cool.

Have you guys experienced Pandora radio? http://www.pandora.com

Never seen this before, but with the way I just played with it all evening I have a feeling I’m going to become a regular user quite quickly.

soosh
    Participant

the thing I don’t like about Pandora is I can’t indulge my collecting OCD while using it.

I’m now up to 350GB of mp3 files.

U-Man
    Participant

the thing I don’t like about Pandora is I can’t indulge my collecting OCD while using it.

I’m now up to 350GB of mp3 files.

Completely understand. I have stuff I don’t even know about. Over the years I have ripped multiple friends’ entire CD collections. I’m afraid of P2P though. At about 250 G.

U-Man
    Participant

Never seen this before, but with the way I just played with it all evening I have a feeling I’m going to become a regular user quite quickly.

That’s how I felt two weeks ago. 🙂
    /glad you like it.

//just realized that your comment could have sexual connotations. 😯

nobigdeal
    Participant

I use Pandora all the time at work. I find that it makes Firefox such a huge resource hog after about an hour that I have to close and reopen or I can’t do anything.

corsec67
    Participant

Pandora is a radio service that chooses songs based on stuff you have chosen.

Slacker is a similar service, but it has the advantage that they sell a portable that updates over wifi, so you can get the same experience on the go.

Unfortuantely, both only work for US-based IPs, so if you are outside the US like I am, you have to proxy through a computer that is in the US. (As it turns out, openssh has a VERY powerful/secure/useful proxy built in, using the -D option and specifying a port to use as a Socks5 proxy)

U-Man
    Participant

Somebody at work introduced me to it a couple of weeks ago. While I am completely inept in the music arena, I probably enjoy it more than most people. I have mildly eclectic tastes and I like trying out new stuff. This site is so cool because it introduces me to stuff that is similar to what I like and know based on the Music Genome Project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Genome_Project

My computer is my stereo and jukebox. While I still listen to some of ‘my stuff’, I usually have a Pandora station going now.

Oh yeah, it’s also great for listening to stuff you don’t want to buy. For me, with three girls, that would be Hannah Montana, Hillary Duff, Jonas Bothers, etc. I set up a Hannah Montana station and it plays all that stuff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Pandora’ is closed to new replies.