Panoramic freeware?

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Panoramic freeware?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I’m back from my cross-country jaunt, and have a couple what-should-be most excellent panoramic series shots.

Problem is, Roxio Photosuite (no ghetto jokes, please) can’t hack it. Too many pictures, too large, and apparently, flowers, rails, cliffs, and clouds are too much to synthesize together on the 180 degree scale I’m shooting (pardon the pun) for.

Any suggestions, besides spending a gazillion pennies on what I can’t afford?

olavf
    Participant

What’s your camera? The photostitch utility that comes on the Canon CD is pretty good. And the price is right if you bought the camera…

sleeping
    Participant

I’ve had good results with hugin, it handled stuff that Photoshop wouldn’t deal with at all.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

ravnostic
    Participant

I have a Canon–there’s photostitch in there? Holy phuqin chit, Batman–there’s photostitch in there! I’ll give that a try. I’ll try hugin if that don’ work. I took 1500 pictures (quite literally). There are a great many good ones, a few greats, as well (more than I’da thunk.) But if I can get these panoram’s in the bag…I’ll die a happy man. Or at least belt a few down and be a happy drunk.

linguine
    Participant

This is what I’ve used for stitching http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks all–I think olavf got me taken care of. I still need to play with it; I only tweeked about 1/2, but I’m on the right track. Example one (huge file, 18 meg):

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2010/sep/07/cliffpano1.jpg

olavf
    Participant

Cool. I’d rotate it to level the skyline, but it gives a good feel for the expanse.
    /don’t to many pano’s, but should probably do some more. Maybe for ‘mountains…etc’. But the pano tool has served me well in the past.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, Olavf I agree; I’ll have some work to do; probably won’t be a full pano, maybe 90 deg., to get a big enough fow. I’m working on Meteor Crater now, though. Should be a bit better; I did a better job with the tripod for that one.

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, the tripod work can be key on those. Meteor Crater is a cool subject too. I haven’t been there…yet

chupathingie
    Participant

Seconds on Hugin’s. It’ll crunch whatever you throw at it. I’ve had no complaints throwing a Gig’s worth of images into it to stitch. I tried 3 Gig once, ran out of resources.

aprillove20
    Participant

Digital photo stitching software is the workhorse of the panorama-making process, and can range from providing a fully automatic one-click stitching, to a more time-consuming manual process.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Panoramic freeware?’ is closed to new replies.