Photography Permits in NYC

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Photography Permits in NYC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RcMacStudent
    Participant

I just read an article by the New York Times that said the city is looking at requiring people to get a permit if they want to shoot (even stills) on any city property.

Is this a standard policy for a city of this size, or is it just a New York thing?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s ridiculous whether it’s standard policy or not. I’ve been told that in DC you have to have a permit if you’re using a tripod, and that the permits are expensive. Something about the tripods being a potential trip/safety risk. So it’s risky if you don’t have a permit, but if you pay them $400, you’re suddenly not a risk. If it’s public property, I fail to see how it’s legal, but if it’s for commercial use, I don’t think it’s unprecedented. Still…doesn’t seem right to me.

Analogy
    Participant

Are monopods a third of the price? I mean, it’s only one leg, so it’s only a third as risky, right?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

LOL good call 😉

millera9
    Participant

I got chased off the grounds of the San Diego convention center one night for taking a photo. The security guard was very polite but he informed me that I had to get permission to be on the grounds before taking any photos. Kinda weird, it’s not like there’s a fence or anything, but I guess that’s why they have the security guard…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The SD Convention Center might be private property, in which case, he’d be correct. But I remember that photo you got before he asked you to leave–was a very nice shot!

millera9
    Participant

No, it’s owned by the city, so I believe that makes it public property. Could be wrong about that though.

I posted that photo to the Geometry contest and it did pretty well. I think that was the one Uranus really liked…

Curious
    Participant

this is nothing more than fear mongering bullshit. it all ties into the “terrorists” taking pictures for their nefarious plans. or that is the official rational for it.

and it would be sad if it weren’t such an affront to those of us who live our life’s within the bounds of the law but end up being treated like criminals by power tripping assholes.

and you can bet that if you actually forked over the money for a permit your name would end up on a homeland security list of people who were “interested” in that particular place. and you might just end up with the thousands of folks on the no fly list cuz – well you did take a picture of a federal building once.

sorry i know farktography isn’t the place for rants but this one just really chaps my ass. if any of my fellow mods wants to zap the post i’ll understand.

zeke
    Participant

this is nothing more than fear mongering bullshit. it all ties into the “terrorists” taking pictures for their nefarious plans. or that is the official rational for it.

and it would be sad if it weren’t such an affront to those of us who live our life’s within the bounds of the law but end up being treated like criminals by power tripping assholes.

and you can bet that if you actually forked over the money for a permit your name would end up on a homeland security list of people who were “interested” in that particular place. and you might just end up with the thousands of folks on the no fly list cuz – well you did take a picture of a federal building once.

sorry i know farktography isn’t the place for rants but this one just really chaps my ass. if any of my fellow mods wants to zap the post i’ll understand.

Screw deleting that. QFT.

millera9
    Participant

Yeah dude, we’re in the pub. Say it like you mean it, I’ll go get you a near-beer!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No, it’s owned by the city, so I believe that makes it public property. Could be wrong about that though.

Oh, well then if it’s public property, fuck that noise.

Another “Amen” to Curious. Photography is not a criminal act.

staplermofo
    Participant

It might be a damn dirty tourist thing.
    The “Taste of Chicago” started yesterday and the line was backed up the entire block my office is on. There must have been a dozen jackasses with tripods fully out on the farking sidewalk. I even saw a jackass ask a guy in a wheelchair to wait while he got a few more shots before he moves out of his way. What was usually 1-2 minute walk took over 5. A lot of people see no problem blocking pedestrian traffic, especially with the spitting fountains and the bean shootable from across the street. Aside from that, jackasses with fully extended tripods in heavy foot traffic are bound to bonk someone.

It’s just inconvenient, but man, they should make a tourist license.

Analogy
    Participant

Blocking the flow of traffic should be the crime, simply using the tripod shouldn’t. The former is the problem, people who can responsibly do the latter aren’t.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Blocking the flow of traffic should be the crime, simply using the tripod shouldn’t. The former is the problem, people who can responsibly do the latter aren’t.

Word

staplermofo
    Participant

This is why democracy doesn’t work.
    Behold, the Staplerian National Armed Forces ?berm??igkraft!

*throws a row of staples in the general direction of D.C.*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Photography Permits in NYC’ is closed to new replies.