Pictures from 2012 (okay, maybe a couple days early)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Pictures from 2012 (okay, maybe a couple days early)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Went out scouting for a photowalk I’m hosting. Have lots to process, but I was quite happy with the birds at Tempe Town Lake.

I’ll load some of the larger files to my google plus acct.

I think these are the best of birds I’ve yet to capture. Say…when’s the next bird theme?

caradoc
    Participant

Have you been down to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve yet? Lots of birding opportunities…

ravnostic
    Participant

No, I haven’t; I’ve pretty much hung out in the lower (post ‘lake’) areas, which is considered a park ofr a while. It’s a little stark, but there’s lots of birds, and some of the park-i-fied areas are very pleasant.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I like the orange background heron. Keep that up and you’ll be giving aspidites a run for his money. Shallow DOF with eye in perfect focus, the hallmark of a good bird photo. I changed my focusing techniques based on a bird photographer’s setup and have never looked back, although since the change have not had a lot of bird opportunities.

ravnostic
    Participant

I like the orange background heron. Keep that up and you’ll be giving aspidites a run for his money. Shallow DOF with eye in perfect focus, the hallmark of a good bird photo. I changed my focusing techniques based on a bird photographer’s setup and have never looked back, although since the change have not had a lot of bird opportunities.

At G+ I have that shot (crop,really) at full res. Here, it’s 1/2 res. I think what helped me on these was that the birds were flying against the wind, so they weren’t moving very far in relation to where I stood. That made it easier to autofocus on them and keep them in the viewfinder, though I was often shooting at 300mm.

Kestrana
    Participant

Phil Armishaw just posted a great guide to shooting birds in flight on G+. Check it out if you haven’t already.

fluffybunny
    Participant

For those of us who are Canonites and specifically 7d users (may apply to other mfgs and models also), here’s the setup I was referring to:

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

Basically, the 7d user can pick what certain buttons do in software so in the article, he assigns AF start to the ‘*’ button just behind the shutter button. In servo mode, this give the ability to lock or vary focus as needed quickly “on the fly” (pun certainly intended) independent of exposure (if in auto) or shutter actuation. I thought it might take me a while to get the hang of it but I latched on to it pretty quickly.

There are some other useful settings in the article, but that was the most important for me.

For all i know, everyone here operates this way and I am once again “discovering” something.

/Europeans “discovering” America.
    //Americans “discovering” Yellowstone.
    ///And so on.

lokisbong
    Participant

Pretty nice shots Rav. my favorites are the vertical shot and the orange background picture.

Fluffybunny that sounds quite a lot like the “back button auto focus” thing I use on my Canon Rebel xs. It uses the button that normally controls the zoom when previewing taken pictures instead of the shutter button.

Yugoboy
    Participant

They’re all terrific, but in honesty (because I’m that kind of jerk) the one with the bridge in the background is probably the weakest. The bridge colors are too close to the bird’s colors, and therefor are a bit distracting.

The others are pure awesome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Pictures from 2012 (okay, maybe a couple days early)’ is closed to new replies.