Post your fireworks pics

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Post your fireworks pics

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    QuickSilver
    Participant

Hmm I don’t see any exif data in your files–do you know/remember what kind of aperture and shutter speeds you were using? I like that first one, the colors are nifty. Were you using a tripod? The second one’s neat, though looks like maybe you could have gone with a slightly faster shutter speed and not gotten quite so much of the trailing, though some of that’s kinda nice, too.

I was using a tripod and I lose the exif data when I set up the picture to upload to flickr. All photos I have saved for web use are like that. The second shot was a finale firework and I intended to reset the shutter to longer to get more bursts at one time but I forgot. I went back to the original RAW and got this:

First Picture
    File Name: IMG01242.X3F
    File Type: X3F
    Image Dimensions: 10.3 MP (2268 x 1512 x 3)
    File Size: 6.95 MB
    Capture Date: 7/4/2007 9:59:35 PM
    Exposure Mode: S – Shutter Speed Priority AE
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    ISO Setting: 100
    White Balance Setting: Auto
    Flash: Off
    Shutter Speed: 1s
    Aperture Value: F4
    Metering Mode: 8 Segment Metering
    Focus Setting: M – Manual Focus
    Focal Length: 62 mm (55-200)
    Resolution: High
    Drive Mode: Single Frame Shooting
    Camera: SIGMA SD10 02210962
    Firmware Version: 2.0.4.1642 Release

Second picture
    File Name: IMG01266.X3F
    File Type: X3F
    Image Dimensions: 10.3 MP (2268 x 1512 x 3)
    File Size: 4.99 MB
    Capture Date: 7/4/2007 10:10:42 PM
    Exposure Mode: S – Shutter Speed Priority AE
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    ISO Setting: 100
    White Balance Setting: Auto
    Flash: Off
    Shutter Speed: 1s
    Aperture Value: F5.6
    Metering Mode: 8 Segment Metering
    Focus Setting: M – Manual Focus
    Focal Length: 200 mm (55-200)
    Resolution: High
    Drive Mode: Single Frame Shooting
    Camera: SIGMA SD10 02210962
    Firmware Version: 2.0.4.1642 Release

Critique away if you please.

zeke
    Participant

Odd, what software are you using to do the resizing? Most packages are exif-aware and should preserve that information.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

What I’ve noticed is that the pictures I’ve done with “save for web” in PS have been stripped of the EXIF data.

I think I read somewhere that the EXIF data was one of the things that caused the early versions of IE to crash, I assume that adobe got wise and removed the offending data so as to help keep people happy (even if it was a workaround and not a fix).

QuickSilver
    Participant

Odd, what software are you using to do the resizing? Most packages are exif-aware and should preserve that information.

I use the Sigma software for the first part of saving the picture because if I try to open a x3f (Sigma raw) file in PS Cs2 it does some rather odd things with the colour, saturation and contrast that I have not yet learned to fix. It says it is using the camera presets but I know better. Then I save the pic in JPG format and I open it in PS CS2, now it doesn’t jack around with the appearance of my photo. I click on save for web, then upload to flickr. I link to the photo for the contest. I still have to be careful though because some photos give me an error message for the contest that says the photo is too big and I have to go back to photoshop and try again. My most recent photo of the Guitars took 4 trys and 1 screw up that I had to ask to be deleted.

On Tuesdays I just bring my lunch.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve heard the “save for web” thing strips EXIF. Regardless, I didn’t see anything wrong with your fireworks shots. I think the second one might have worked out better if you’d caught it just before or just as it was exploding, but if you saw all the shots I took both on the 4th and at a family get together that weekend, you’d see plenty that look very similar to your second, or even with only faint trails where I caught it too long after it exploded. I was shooting with similar exposure variables to your shots, too. I think fireworks shots are 1/3 setting up your shots and 2/3 luck 😉

QuickSilver
    Participant

I saw some above who claimed 5 to 10 sec. I would think that at just about any aperature those would have very long trails. but the photos don’t look bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘Post your fireworks pics’ is closed to new replies.