Published, sort of….

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Published, sort of….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

The Globe and Mail, a national newspaper in Canada, has a flickr group and is always asking for submissions. They screen the group and select some for their website. I’ve had a few hit their site before, cute kids etc. But the current theme is “capturing movement” so I submitted two from the demolition derby I went to at Thanksgiving. Both got posted to their main page.

The funny part is The Globe and Mail is viewed as a somewhat conservative newspaper.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/multimedia/reader-photos/share-your-photos-on-the-theme-of-movement/article1767949/

scroll to the slide show and mine are in there.

I know it’s not like a book or anything, but it’s nice to see my work there.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I always get a thrill when my stuff get’s picked up, even online. Yesterday the Wall Street Journal’s Metropolis section ran one of my shots

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/10/20/weather-report-an-average-autumn-gem/

and I was giddy all day.

lokisbong
    Participant

Very cool for both of you. I actually know what you mean. I have a picture that is on a travel website for northern California.
    http://www.discovernortherncalifornia.com/del-norte-county-california-attractions.html
    its the harbor picture. I was almost jumping up and down from joy when she asked to use my picture.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Very cool for both of you. I actually know what you mean. I have a picture that is on a travel website for northern California.
    http://www.discovernortherncalifornia.com/del-norte-county-california-attractions.html
    its the harbor picture. I was almost jumping up and down from joy when she asked to use my picture.

Thanks! I got a little thrill of my own looking at the page when I saw Fort Bragg on there. When I lived in NorCal Fort Bragg was my “I gotta get outta here to someplace quiet” town. Of all the places I’ve been, I could see living out my golden years there!

Curious
    Participant

ennuipoet and lokisbong did you submit those or did the folks who used them just find them? and if they found them did they ask permission?

lokisbong
    Participant

My picture was found on Flickr and yes she asked me for permission before using it.

Curious
    Participant

My picture was found on Flickr and yes she asked me for permission before using it.

I was almost jumping up and down from joy when she asked to use my picture.

reading comprehension isn’t my friend tonight. thanks for the reply.

someone once sent an email using my website email addy asking for permission to use a picture on there. but i so seldom look at that email by the time i replied the deadline had past.

on the odd occasion i look at my web stats i find referers from sites i know i never put pictures on. but i doubt anyone is making money from them so i don’t worry about it.

ennuipoet
    Participant

ennuipoet and lokisbong did you submit those or did the folks who used them just find them? and if they found them did they ask permission?

Mine was picked out by the feature editor for the blog. I post most of my pics on Flickr with a Creative Common’s license Share and Share with attribution, non-commercial. The blog linked back to my Flickr.

This thread actually brings up a question I was thinking about. After reading a few articles last night about crowd sourcing and editors doing exactly what we are talking about, using amateur work for free instead of using pro stock, are we shooting ourselves in the foot by giving away our work like this? I really don’t think I will ever make a living via photography, but I know that I can make a little money here and there, but not if my stuff goes for free all the time.

Thoughts? Are we giving away what we should be selling? Are we taking food out of the mouths of pros by giving away our stuff like this?

Curious
    Participant

Thoughts? Are we giving away what we should be selling? Are we taking food out of the mouths of pros by giving away our stuff like this?

1) in the overall scheme of things i doubt the money is significant. either for an individual work or en-mass since it’s doubtful a lot publishers, blogs, etc would be using your random photos. unless you have a jack ruby type shot it ain’t going viral.

2) there are businesses that will host your digital (or actual) photo if you want to sell it/them. iStock and Getty images are examples.

3) i tend to think of sharing as helping a stranger with a flat tire. it’s a one time thing that makes you feel good and helps your fellow man (woman person whatever).

4) IMO going the “i want to be paid” route means probably getting less used and also being sad when you aren’t generating loot.

5) my flickr and website photos are restricted but i’ll let folks use them if they ask. and frankly few have so it doesn’t come up much 🙂

6) too many “pros” i’ve seen take crappy shots. if they sell less we are doing them a favor by making them get better. seriously, there are folks here who do really good work and are pros in all but name only.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Published, sort of….’ is closed to new replies.