Replacement Camera

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Replacement Camera

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    nutkick_42
    Participant

I recently found myself thrust into the market for a new camera (see thread in tech talk).

I’m looking for a P&S in the roughly $200 range. The Canon Powershot SX110IS is looking like a front runner thus far. I really liked my old Lumix, so the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4K is also in the running.

The Canon has things I want, like manual focus and the ability to focus on objects 1 cm from the lens. The Panasonic has the advantage of not having to learn a new set of on-board software. I rarely shoot at resolutions above 3MP, so the gap in max resolution doesn’t matter much to me.

What are your thoughts on these two, and are there any other models I should be looking at?

nobigdeal
    Participant

I was checking out the Canon at Best Buy today. I liked the feel of it. Plus I’m a Canon guy anyway. They had a shitload of P&S cameras as open box stuff cheap as hell. I think the Canon was selling for $159. Circuit City had about 50 cameras on the open box display. After Xmas returns I would imagine. If you live near one of these go by and have a look, you could get a sweet deal.

BTW…Why not shoot over 3mp?

Killerclaw
    Participant

I was checking out the Canon at Best Buy today. I liked the feel of it. Plus I’m a Canon guy anyway. They had a shitload of P&S cameras as open box stuff cheap as hell. I think the Canon was selling for $159. Circuit City had about 50 cameras on the open box display. After Xmas returns I would imagine. If you live near one of these go by and have a look, you could get a sweet deal.

BTW…Why not shoot over 3mp?

Fight the man, man

jpatten
    Participant

file size maybe?

sleeping
    Participant

I was choosing between pretty much the same cameras this year to replace my SD1000 as an EDC pocket digicam. The 28mm equivalent wide end is what sold me on the Panasonic instead of the SX110, but I got the TZ5 (mostly because it was on sale and the TZ4 wasn’t).

I haven’t shot with it a lot yet, just got it, but there’s a couple examples on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/tags/tz5/

What I really wanted was the Panasonic lens on the Canon body….

nutkick_42
    Participant

I shoot 3 MP for two reasons:
    1-I generally crop/resize down to 640×480 anyway
    2-File Sizes

I agree 100%, sleeping. If I could get the Panasonic lens on the Canon body, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

So, no other recommendations for a ~$200-250 P&S?

RcMacStudent
    Participant

One of my friends recently got the Canon PowerShot SD1100IS. I got to play with it for half an hour and I really liked it, if I was in the market for a P&S I would get one without hesitation.

Edited to add: but then if I checked out the links you posted (invariably AFTER I post) I see that you basically picked out the big brother to my suggestion. Durr…..

*facepalm*

nobigdeal
    Participant

I went back to CC at lunch today to look again at the open box stuff.

Ended up grabbing one of these http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FS3G-Optical-Digital-Camera/dp/B001CGJ1GK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1231272120&sr=1-3

$64.00 I couldn’t pass it up. Nothing fancy and not alot of user control but good enough for a pocket camera.

soosh
    Participant

I bought my son a powershot a few years ago, and I was never all that impressed with the lens on it. I’ve had a bias against the whole powershot line because of it.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I bought my son a powershot a few years ago, and I was never all that impressed with the lens on it. I’ve had a bias against the whole powershot line because of it.

I had the Powershot A70 for years and it impressed the hell out of me.

Good times
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/

olavf
    Participant

I’ll second that. The LCD in my P&S is busted and needs to be replaced, but I managed to get (for free) an old PowerShot G5 for my kid. If he keeps this up he’s going to need a real camera soon :/

Not bad for a ten-year-old. http://65.78.140.207/gallery2/main.php/v/anton/searanch08/

soosh
    Participant

the one he has is the A410. it gets good enough reviews. I’m probably being over-critical of the image quality.

SilverStag
    Participant

I finally got a replacement for my D50 – a D80 demo from Cameta on eBay. $430 with 1 yr warranty. – Fresh out of Nikon refurb. (Cameta is Nikon’s authorized distributor of demo and refurb equipment.)

nobigdeal
    Participant

well my Lumix lasted 2 days and it pooped the bed 🙁 So I took it and got my $ back. Unfortunately they didn’t have much selection left so I ended up grabbing a Sony Cybershot DSC-W120 for $70. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW120-Digital-Optical/dp/B0011E4N5C I don’t think it takes as good a shot as the Lumix considering it is supposed to be a more expensive camera but it will do for what I need and it has a few more creative controls.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Replacement Camera’ is closed to new replies.