Rocco Ancora

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Rocco Ancora

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant
    ravnostic
    Participant

A-yep. This would be the kind of wedding photog I’d like to be. How unique and (dare I say it?) inviting?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I love the work, I just wonder how many prospective Bridezilla’s would be into this kind of dark mood for their weddings?

Perhaps if you were a Goth Bride!

Yugoboy
    Participant

I don’t think the mood is “dark” do much as really stylized.

Too many people are sheep and won’t want to risk being different from others. Those that can get into this… more power to ’em.

One reason more of us don’t shoot like this is access to sets. I’d love to find stairs like those in one of the images. There’s a few homes around here with them, but I’d need permission, or to buy tickets (like the Eastman House). I suppose if I had more (interesting) friends, the problem would resolve itself.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I suppose if I had more (interesting) friends, the problem would resolve itself.

Tell me about it! I love all of my friends, but NONE of them are the kind of people that want their portraits taken. We’re all bookish types and no one is really all that into their physical beauty. I tell them I don’t want glamor shots, but they just smile and tell me to go to hell.

lokisbong
    Participant

I suppose if I had more (interesting) friends, the problem would resolve itself.

Tell me about it! I love all of my friends, but NONE of them are the kind of people that want their portraits taken. We’re all bookish types and no one is really all that into their physical beauty. I tell them I don’t want glamor shots, but they just smile and tell me to go to hell.

Yeah none of my friends would pose for me either. I get the exact same response. lol

orionid
    Participant

Yeah none of my friends would pose for me either. I get the exact same response. lol

I’m still working that angle. Slowly.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m still working that angle. Slowly.

Preach it brothers and sisters!

My shots from ‘Strange’ all came from people I’d never met, at the local bar I’ve gone to for close to 20 years;–I have more than a few ‘friends’ who simply refuse to let me take their shots (even at private parties, one of them gets in a tizzy–his profile’s not seen my sensor in 5+ years).

I don’t get that. Is it time for “Our Bodies, Our Selves II”? Is there any reason in the world why we shouldn’t consider ourselves (and everyone else) as being beautiful?

Beuller? Beuller?

Yoyo
    Participant

I’ll be the hater. Which of those photos was actually a wedding? I didn’t see any, just women in gowns and the occasional groom. They’re nice photos and all, but they look highly staged, considering the article is talking about how wedding photography has become formulaic and stilted.

staplermofo
    Participant

Is there any reason in the world why we shouldn’t consider ourselves (and everyone else) as being beautiful?

Beuller? Beuller?

I think the trick is not to let thoughts of beauty start bouncing around. You know, like how fashion people call models “clothes hangers”. I’ve gotten more people to pose nude with staplers than I’ve gotten people to pose at all without staplers. (in statistics this is called a sample bias)
    It’s comforting to project a bit of “I put photographs out. This is something I do. There are lots of them out there and they make people happy. You can help.” instead of “I will capture your soul and throw undefended to the wilds of the internets, alone, cold, scrutinized and doomed to be soiled by cheeto dust and prepubescent azoospermic mucopolysaccherides”

Besides, photographic beauty ends up blurring its way into visually interesting. NHL players just end up more interesting as subject than B-listers with F cup boobs. (Unless you’re doing “zomg a naked person somewheres” shots.)

orionid
    Participant

Did someone say F cup boobies?

staplermofo
    Participant

/obligatory

fluffybunny
    Participant

Sorry for starting this conversation and walking away from it, this is a day shift week for me and I spent last night getting my third entry for this week.

I had similar thoughts about staging and practicality but they are good photographs in and of themselves to me.

I’ve only asked friends one other time besides this contest and always had positive responses and support. I would be uncomfortable in front of the camera if the tables were turned, but a) I don’t think I am much to look at and b) I would constantly be “directing” (are there any poorly placed shadows? is the subject in sharp focus? do these jeans make my butt look big?). I think stapler is onto the right track, I tended to talk about the ideas I had for the shoots rather than “can I take your photograph”. Nice written imagery as always stapler.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Rocco Ancora’ is closed to new replies.