Rube Goldberg’s Macro Lenses

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Rube Goldberg’s Macro Lenses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

So about a year ago, I was given a ton of darkroom equipment, which I promptly stored in my garage for six months to age and then started to take apart. In disassembling the two enlargers, I found some pretty spiffy high-quality lenses. One is a Schneider – Kreuznach Componon-S 80mm f/4, for I believe medium format, and the other is a great big El-Nikkor 150mm f/5.6 lens for 4×5 enlarging.

I’ve always wanted to set up a film lab, and someday I will, but what I’m even better at than setting up huge projects is taking existing things apart.

So I’ve bought some adapter rings from China and dug out the bare Vivitar macro bellows I bought on a whim on eBay six years ago and never have done anything with, and lo and behold, it’s easy as hell to link all these things up to get a pretty fantastic macro-rail kit for a grand total cost of about $40.

The shots here are ones I took just holding the whole assembly in my hands, so no tripod or mirror lockup/critical focusing or anything. I was just looking to see how it would turn out.

If I don’t extend the bellows out, the 150 does a pretty good job as working as a regular lens:

but if I rack the bellows all the way out, here’s the same Madagascar Palm, close focus, the entire frame captured:

and from that shot, here is a 100% crop, handheld, with the lens wide open

I’m kind of blown away by the amount of magnification I’m getting. The shorter lens seems to focus even closer. I’m headed out now into the woods with a tripod to go take some moss and fungus and maybe even insect photos if I’m lucky.

olavf
    Participant

Awesome. I suspect you’re going to have a helluva lot of fun with that.

soosh
    Participant

I think so, too.

lokisbong
    Participant

Very cool! That last one is pretty good for handheld.

ravnostic
    Participant

Looks like your rig does what my Darlot does when I use it in conjunction with my canon lenses. Have LOTS of fun with it–I’ve had a blast with mine (and have done well in the contests with some of the shots, too.)

soosh
    Participant

so I was out shooting some mosses yesterday and had an opportunity to do some wildlife macro shooting.

click here to see if you’re not bug-averse

I’m blown away by the resolution I’m getting.

ravnostic
    Participant

Holy fark! The color’s impressive, too. Red blooded much?

Farktographer
    Participant

That’s some serious macro you’ve got there. I’m impressed

chupathingie
    Participant

ooooohhhh…. nerdgasm… got a pic of the rig?

orionid
    Participant

Those mosquito shots are pretty serious. Yikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Rube Goldberg’s Macro Lenses’ is closed to new replies.