rule breakers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

what happens to people that don’t stick with the theme.. or break the rules? Do their pics get yanked, or voting disabled?

Just curious.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

LoL… as I was typing this, someone’s post got nuked. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nuking or vote disabling, yes, especially in clear cut cases. But sometimes it’s a judgement call; sometimes there’s leeway in the theme description that allows for more artistic license/interpretation of the theme.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

gotcha… I wondered how some of the entries constituted vents…or stacks… or exhausts… when they really had none.. ie: grates… smoke… etc… no biggie. 😀 Yes, I’m being petty. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

There was a discussion in the topic thread about grates (e.g. city and subway grates) venting steam and being on-theme. I’m torn on the smoke/candle type stuff, but the smoke itself is venting, so I guess that’s what they were going for?

Uranus
    Participant

blegh! it was vents, originally, not venting. a physical object which vents.

my biggest dilemma is those superb shots whose primary focus is not the vent/exhaust/smokestack itself (the plane, for instance). the candles and incense don’t do much for me, but to each their own.

to exclude that sort of thing would probably narrow the field too much, and i suppose it just give us all a broader perspective on what could be.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Well the problem with the grates is that they are not vents. Most of the grates are INLETS for water. They are not steam vents. But who’s splitting hairs… (me lol) I tried to google some stuff about the insense and candle-smoking entries to see what constitutes venting smoke… or a vent of smoke, or anything like that… I came up with nothing…

schnee
    Participant

my biggest dilemma is those superb shots whose primary focus is not the vent/exhaust/smokestack itself

I’m with Uranus (did I really just type that?).

For example, I took this (pops):

but didn’t enter it. I think that there’s a kernel of good-image in there, the smokestacks are centered (making them an obvious subject (I don’t typically center the subject)) and the steam is (reaching here) “venting” off of the water, but it just didn’t do it for me (or for this theme).

I originally wanted to photograph the now-defunct power plant to which those stacks are attached, but never got the time. It is a really interesting building and if we ever do an “art-deco” theme, well…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, the “venting off the water” or “venting off the candle/incense” is where people were going, and it’s a stretch, though I sort of see it. I think in retrospect, though, maybe they should have been pulled. Mea culpa…

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Yeah, the “venting off the water” or “venting off the candle/incense” is where people were going, and it’s a stretch, though I sort of see it. I think in retrospect, though, maybe they should have been pulled. Mea culpa…

it’s a stretch. There’s even one grate that says “goes to waterway”… it’s a storm grate.. another drain-grate is in front of a door to prevent water running inside the building… not a vent, smokestack, or other outlet… 😯

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As I already mentioned, there was discussion on the main thread about grates.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I would think subway vents and those city grates count. They are designed to vent the air and/or steam

That’s a good point…

I am indeed referring to a subway grate which appears to be part of a ventilation system.

right… so storm/water drains weren’t the intention… vents on city steam pipes and grates from ventilation systems were included in the intention…

ahh… I’m just jealous cause they got more votes than me! bwahahaha~!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It was my screw up, but it’s far too late to pull those entries now.

Uranus
    Participant

indeed!
    I’m just grumpy ‘cos my favourite pic is getting creamed by a stick of incense in the voting.
    a good shot of incense, to be sure, but still….f***ing incense? 😯

Guma2
    Participant

indeed!
    I’m just grumpy ‘cos my favourite pic is getting creamed by a stick of incense in the voting.
    a good shot of incense, to be sure, but still….f***ing incense? 😯

Yeah I agree, I’m a bit perplexed about the incense too…and jealous of all the votes it’s getting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘rule breakers’ is closed to new replies.