Rule questions: Saturation and duplicates

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Rule questions: Saturation and duplicates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    erond
    Participant

Not trying to be a smart-alec, really… this weeks contest tickled some brain cells and I have two questions:

– adjustments, such as saturation; can’t make things look cartoonish. I have a particular picture that has its own certain punch when saturation is exagerated (but not nearly maxed). It looks a bit unreal, without looking fake (hard to describe, I’ll post a link if needed).

– duplicate entries; what is the underlying rationale? Some images lend themselves to multiple contests (I’m particularly thinking of the image mentioned above). “technically” I could take two exposures of the same scene and it wouldn’t be a “duplicate”, even if it looks exactly the same. 😉 (so, that’s why I’m asking for the underlying rationale).

linguine
    Participant

Not trying to be a smart-alec, really… this weeks contest tickled some brain cells and I have two questions:

– adjustments, such as saturation; can’t make things look cartoonish. I have a particular picture that has its own certain punch when saturation is exagerated (but not nearly maxed). It looks a bit unreal, without looking fake (hard to describe, I’ll post a link if needed).

– duplicate entries; what is the underlying rationale? Some images lend themselves to multiple contests (I’m particularly thinking of the image mentioned above). “technically” I could take two exposures of the same scene and it wouldn’t be a “duplicate”, even if it looks exactly the same. 😉 (so, that’s why I’m asking for the underlying rationale).

For this weeks contest you could probably get away with a little bit higher saturation than usual, but the general idea is for it to look real. If you think it might be questionable you can always post a picture here first to let people look at it first and decide it its legal.

As for the no duplicates, I wasnt here when they came up with the rules but Im assuming that was put in to keep farktography fresh and constantly having new pictures to see every week rather than seeing the same pictures over and over again. We have the anniversary contest once a year thats fun so that people can go back and show their past entries again, but I personally think farktography wouldnt be as fun and interesting if people didnt have to keep coming up with new entries.

swampa
    Participant

In my mind, the reason duplicate entries aren’t allowed is that it encourages everyone to take new photos each week, instead of relying on one or two great entries that are common to a lot of themes. Yes, you could take two exposures but you are still limited to two contests (I have done this in the past).

Teffy
    Participant

I don’t know about saturation.. no photoshop skills at all here, so I can’t say anything smart about it. But no duplicates makes sense to me. Farktography (to me at least) is about constantly challenging yourself to come up with new ideas each week and actively photoing, not about sitting on you best shot for each contest. Every week I have to ask myself, how can I be better than last week? How can I be more creative? Don’t often succeed, and I’ve never gotten into the top 10.. or 20.. or 30.. 😆 but I have a ton of fun trying 🙂

But I can see why someone would want to reuse pictures that could apply to a different contest if it is a really awesome pic. But that isn’t as challenging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Rule questions: Saturation and duplicates’ is closed to new replies.