Score One for the Nikonians

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Score One for the Nikonians

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Apparently those incredible night time lapse shots of the Earth from the ISS were shot on a Nikon D3

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/12/27/how-those-amazing-international-space-station-time-lapse-photos-are-shot/

Well played Nikonians, well played.

Kestrana
    Participant

/golfclap

staplermofo
    Participant

Nikon better than Canon? What planet are you guys on?

orionid
    Participant

Apparently planet “ISS.” And sometimes Earth.

ravnostic
    Participant

Might be because the military uses Nikon, and always has because they’ve already got the lenses (there was an article in a recent Pop Pho regarding their use.) Just a thought. NTTAWWT.

sleeping
    Participant

NASA used to use Hasselbads, all the Moon photos and stuff were shot with them I believe.

Edit: Link to a manual – http://www.hasselblad.com/media/2207875/astronauts_manual_singlepage_lr.pdf

ennuipoet
    Participant

Might be because the military uses Nikon, and always has because they’ve already got the lenses (there was an article in a recent Pop Pho regarding their use.) Just a thought. NTTAWWT.

Yup, from what I understand, the gear was purchased by NASA and the astronaut learned on the gear. Though, I bet he was an enthusiast before he started on the project, if he isn’t he will be now.

Nikon can have the military, Canon has professional sports 😛

Yoyo
    Participant

When you say the military uses Nikon, you should be more specific. It has been my experience that the Army Public Affairs branch uses Nikon digital still cameras for documentary and photojournalism purposes, and some rather professional grade gear I might add. However, it seems that the Engineers (including yours truly) prefer Canon for more technical tasks like ground and aerial route reconnaissance or construction progress documentation. If you want to see some awesome high-speed photography, I recommend the work put out by the Army artillery test center in Yuma, Arizona, or the White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. The arty guys have no problem taking pics of 6″ projectiles leaving the barrel that are so sharp you can read the hand writing on the side of the shell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Score One for the Nikonians’ is closed to new replies.