Seriously. I need some tips and tricks.

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Seriously. I need some tips and tricks.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I want to write more, but don’t have enough spare minutes (I get verbose), but I did want to mention that FD lenses will NOT work on current DSLR’s. There’s an adapter you can get, but the one without glass will lose infinity focus, and the one with glass will degrade image quality. So FD lenses are pretty much useless on anything but old FD mount film cameras. On the other hand, if you want to play with old Canon film cameras, FD lenses are cheap and the cameras are built like tanks. I <3 my late father's AE-1P and have considered getting some additional lenses for it.

Also, I love Tamron and Tokina lenses for their excellent value and image quality (and excellent warranties, too–Canon only warrants for a year while the third party manufacturers warranties are 3-6 years).

More later, but wanted to jump in on those points specifically.

caradoc
    Participant

Sure. We have gatherings of the AZStrobist crowd (http://www.flickr.com/groups/azstrobist) fairly regularly, 2-3 times a year. Or you can come out stormchasing with me next month… I generally log about 12,000 miles on the Forester every monsoon season. 😉

sleeping
    Participant

I want to write more, but don’t have enough spare minutes (I get verbose), but I did want to mention that FD lenses will NOT work on current DSLR’s.

You can adapt them to micro 4/3 though, and keep infinity focus without glass. Those are an interesting option as far as adapting old lenses because you can fit just about anything on the front given the short flange-sensor distance….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ah gotcha. I really should have said FD lenses will not work on current Canon EOS DSLR’s.

olavf
    Participant

This one works on a Canon though:
    http://morningcupojoe.com/2008/02/06/canon-5200mm-mirror-lens/

(this link has a couple of shots taken with it: http://thenextcorner.net/canon-5200mm-f14-slr-dslr-lens/)

Too bad it’s manual focus, and you need a small pickup truck for a tripod.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, works on old Canon film..it’s an FD mount 😉 Though they say the engineers can create a custom mount for it.

ravnostic
    Participant

Sure. We have gatherings of the AZStrobist crowd (http://www.flickr.com/groups/azstrobist) fairly regularly, 2-3 times a year. Or you can come out stormchasing with me next month… I generally log about 12,000 miles on the Forester every monsoon season. 😉

I used to go stormchasing with my old roommate; love to!!

LeicaLens
    Participant

I want to write more, but don’t have enough spare minutes (I get verbose), but I did want to mention that FD lenses will NOT work on current DSLR’s. There’s an adapter you can get, but the one without glass will lose infinity focus, and the one with glass will degrade image quality. So FD lenses are pretty much useless on anything but old FD mount film cameras. On the other hand, if you want to play with old Canon film cameras, FD lenses are cheap and the cameras are built like tanks. I <3 my late father's AE-1P and have considered getting some additional lenses for it.

That makes me a sad Panda. I saw a fairly positive review of an FD lens on an EOS film camera (which I have), so I bought the adapter (already have a couple of FD lenses). The first roll of film has just gone in for developing, so I don’t know what the results be.
    The FD lenses are supposed to be great on the micro four-thirds, as olavf said, but I reckon focussing on the back screen would be a pain.

ravnostic
    Participant

Well this is a lot of useful info. I’m glad, Els., that you think Tamron lenses are a decent value for the price. I’d rather not get a film camera as 1) I have no patience for waiting to see what I got when half of what I shoot isn’t decent enough to pay for and 2) film processing is both expensive and harder and harder to find (I’m not a fan of kiosk film developers.) I was glad to get rid of my 35mm when I went digital.

There’s been lots of useful tips here, thanks to all for posting the info! My only regret is I’ll be working tonight and will miss a chance to try to catch a skygrazing meteor, which sometimes can be spectacular (if anyone’s up tonight, this is a good night for it; they’ll come from the southeast in the wee hours of the morning, after 2am; you might reasonably expect to see only 2-3 of the brighter, trail leaving ones).

I am due to get my DSLR serviced; I’m hoping to get rid of the dust fuffles that have accumulated in the 2/5 years I’ve owned it.

LeicaLens
    Participant

As a follow up to the FD;Micro4/3 cameras, his guy uses FD lenses on his Panasonic GF1:
    http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/g-fdd-up-from-the-feet-up-or-how-i-saved-thousands-buying-fd-lenses/

Not that I am suggesting you get FD lenses and a micro4/3 camera just to try them out.

He also says he gets decent results on his 40D, but not so much on his full-frame 5D MII (which makes sense).
    Interesting read. Seems like he got a great deal on his lenses.

Really makes me think more seriously about the micro4/3, especially as I have E-system Olympus lenses that with work with a mount.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Just want to post a follow up to the FD lens on EOS mount conversation.
    I got my first lot of film back that I had taken using the FD conversion mount with 2 FD lenses (50mm F2, 100mm F2).
    The results are okay, but the shots (B&W film) are quite contrasty. I was using Ilford ISO400, which I haven’t used before, so I am not sure if the constrastyness is a result of the film or lens/mount combination.
    Also, the camera had a tendency to underexpose slightly. Outdoor shots worked much better than indoor.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Seriously. I need some tips and tricks.’ is closed to new replies.