Shopping for a digital

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Shopping for a digital

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Shahanna
    Participant

I’m sure you are all sick of these kind of questions, but where else should I turn but to fark?

Basically I’m looking to buy a new digital camera, but don’t know much about them. Until now I’ve been using a 3.1 Vivitar (ViviCam3746) that I am about to drop kick off my balcony. The limited size and quality (its set on the best settings I’ve got, and that’s plain not enough), slow response time, and maximum of 3x optical zoom is driving me insane.

I’m not looking to sink a significant sum into this enterprise (I’m a teacher, not an option), so I’m looking at a max of around $600, though I’ll stretch that for a good cause. I’d like to have higher resolution (print quality would be nice) and a better response time minimum. Optical zoom is a must, but not so much that I start sacrificing portability. I am, at best, a middling amateur when it comes to photography, so I don’t really need high end equipment.

I’ll answer any questions as best I can, and I apologize for the essay, but I’d rather err on the side of too MUCH information rather than too little. Thanks already for your time if you’ve managed to make it this far!

linguine
    Participant

Are you looking for a dslr or something thats just a point and shoot camera?

Shahanna
    Participant

I want to say dslr, but since most of what I use the camera for is point and shoot it really wouldn’t be worth it, little as I’d use its full capability.

SilverStag
    Participant

Consider a Nikon D40 – it’s an *amazing* camera for the money, with room to grow.

Shahanna
    Participant

Heh, thanks for the link… that seems to be a very reasonable option. I’ve played around with a D70 before and liked it, but couldn’t remember the make until you mentioned this one. This seems like it would be the better option though.

millera9
    Participant

If you decide not to go the DSLR route, I highly recommend the Canon A7xx series. The current body (A720) is 8mp, 6x optical zoom, IS, includes full manual settings, and is pocket sized. I started out on an A700 and it took me a year of constant shooting and practicing before I started to push the camera beyond its abilities. It’s an excellent option if you’re not sure about how dedicated you are to becoming a really serious photographer. Here’s a link:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/EC24261/

Now, if you have any ambitions to become a really serious photographer, I would suggest going straight for a low level DSLR. It will still have all the automatic settings (as well as the manual ones) so you can learn at your own speed while still being able to get a pretty good picture when necessary. You’ll also be able to begin your lens collection. You will outgrow the body pretty quickly if you practice regularly, but if you buy nice glass you’ll have it forever and you’ll be able to transfer it to a new body so long as you stay with the same manufacturer. This is a good option if you’re sure you’re serious, but it will also hit you in the pocketbook once you start. It becomes an addiction as you start branching out and trying to get different types of pictures in different situations. You’ve been warned.

Overall, you’ve got lots of options and if you’re patient you’ll probably find some excellent deals. That site I linked above is an excellent international camera store with locations all over the US and Europe and there are lots off places just like that with great competing deals.

Let us know what you decide on!

swampa
    Participant

Yeah, go for something like the D40, but look for a twin lens kit (seeing as the default lens is about 3x). I found this one on froogle (no idea if they are a good business though but it fits within your budget).

Just be prepared to become addicted to getting better lenses for your camera if you go for a dslr 😛

Analogy
    Participant

For point and shoot I’ve heard great things about Canon’s Powershot cameras. That’s the A7xx cameras millera9 mentioned.

XenPix
    Participant

I had a Powershot A70 that was just a fantastic little camera. Only 3.2mp but the photos were still pretty darned good quality for all that.

If you go for one of the cheaper dSLR then you have the option to expand with lenses at a later date, which means you will have more options whilst retaining the easy factor. However you may find it a bit limiting to start because you might struggle to get a decent zoom with it to start with. Not sure how that budget works out (no idea about american prices of stuff).

Uranus
    Participant

+1 for the D40.

Am loving mine.Also, what XenPix said, about moving on to more lenses etc. makes a D-SLR a slightly more attractive option

Despite an initial hiccup, I’m pretty pleased with the Fuji FinePix S6500 as well – not quite as pricey as the D40, but slightly more limited. It has the advantage of being more point and shoot , though. Also, it’s really light, and fits nicely into smaller hands..

staplermofo
    Participant

Don’t forget Pentax has a few great DSLRs for under $600 too (even under $500 if you shop around, under $400 if you don’t mind used).
    Built in shake reduction is nothing to sneeze at. The lens selection is pretty good too.

schnee
    Participant

Don’t forget Pentax has a few great DSLRs for under $600 too (even under $500 if you shop around, under $400 if you don’t mind used).
    Built in shake reduction is nothing to sneeze at. The lens selection is pretty good too.

I came here to say what he said.

lokisbong
    Participant

how is the canon A720 when doin closeup shots.i am also lookin for a better camera and thats one of the things my current cheap camera refuses to do.oh and how is shutter response?that is another complaint with the elcheapo. gotta keep it under $250 please.

millera9
    Participant

Here are some macro/close-up shots taken with my A700 loki. I assume the A720 contains the same abilities but I won’t guarantee that because I’ve never used one.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/283216462_d1a7f18e62_b.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/283216469_1b8b4706e8_b.jpg

Shutter response is not dslr-quick on mine but it’s reasonably quick. I did occasionally feel like I had missed a shot due to the slow shutter, but for the price and the quality and the features it was, for me, an acceptable imperfection.

lokisbong
    Participant

thank you millera9 .those are awsome. i wish i would have just spent some cash the first time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘Shopping for a digital’ is closed to new replies.