So what’s good besides Flickr?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill So what’s good besides Flickr?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

Microsoft is going to buy Yahoo!, so I’m already looking for a new photo site, because I refuse as a matter of principle to support Microsoft, and I know that they’ll manage to screw it up/require some invasive form of ID/change the site so you must use IE.

What alternatives are good, guys? I know about Picasa, but am not really fond of it.

staplermofo
    Participant

You can get your own website for under $100/year.
    A couple places let you get your first year at a huge discount too.

(objectionable content removed)

SilverStag
    Participant

I’ve had my own site for years.

I’m looking for a more social-networking site oriented for photogs.

Maybe I should build one – I own pixelmavens.com.

staplermofo
    Participant

You want to meet even more people?

Madness!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

(objectionable content removed)?

Damn…now I want to see some objectionable content….

As for the Flickr question, I don’t know. I’m paid up through 2010 and Zeke’s paid up through 2009, but given Microsoft’s track record of changing (read: f’ing up) everything they touch, I can’t say I’m excited about this prospect. Flickr is just fine the way it is and doesn’t need any M$ style “improvements”. There are alternatives out there, I just don’t know how good they are. SmugMug comes to mind (don’t know if they do external hosting, though), and Zooomr (not sure how many O’s are in it), which was intended to be directly competing with Flickr. There’s another one out there that I see every once in awhile in discussions on Flickr, but I can’t remember the name of it. A lot of people migrated to it after the bruhahaha over censoring content for German and Singaporean users. Search in the Flickr Central group for Flickr alternatives and you’ll probably find it.

corsec67
    Participant

Just to chime in here:
    Zooomr isn’t very good at all. Flickr beats Zooomr by a very long shot, and it isn’t just the number of users. The Zooomr interface is really simple, and permissions are just about non-existing.
    They have a long way to go to beating Flickr, but the pending MS takeover should help them out there.

I tried hosting an install of gallery on DreamHost, but DH’s database is insanely slow, so I only use them for off-site backups and static content hosting, like (plug here) my phot.ogra.ph webcams.

zeke
    Participant

I tried hosting an install of gallery on DreamHost, but DH’s database is insanely slow, so I only use them for off-site backups and static content hosting, like (plug here) my phot.ogra.ph webcams.

Using Gallery2 or Gallery1? The major knock against Gallery2 is lots of folks cant/dont want to use a DB (primarily for the performance reasons). Gallery1 uses all flat files, and it works a lot quicker.

corsec67
    Participant

Using Gallery2 or Gallery1? The major knock against Gallery2 is lots of folks cant/dont want to use a DB (primarily for the performance reasons). Gallery1 uses all flat files, and it works a lot quicker.

Gallery2. I noticed it got slower and slower as I added files to it.
    Flat files would be much better for performance reasons.

XenPix
    Participant

I’ve been using gallery2 on my website, but with each update it seems to go backwards. I’m not happy about the Flickr takeover thing, but gallery has screwed with my head.

I’ve looked at other options for my site, but I’m just completely clueless.

idle_hands
    Participant

i’ve been using pbase since 2002. it had some hiccups on and off last year but it’s pretty reliable these days.

soosh
    Participant

take a look at coppermine It’s what I’ve been using for my site at sacredartichoke for more than five years, and it’s really pretty good.

If anybody would like help in getting a coppermine gallery set up, let me know – I’d be glad to help as much as I can.

corsec67
    Participant

Maybe we should be clear: there are 2 kinds of “replacements”, either a software package you run on your own site, like Gallery, or another site that has hosts users, like flickr, pbase, and zooomr.

XenPix
    Participant

take a look at coppermine It’s what I’ve been using for my site at sacredartichoke for more than five years, and it’s really pretty good.

If anybody would like help in getting a coppermine gallery set up, let me know – I’d be glad to help as much as I can.

I might take you up on that offer of help later!

Also, after looking around your site, you win best photo title with this one “max_could_use_some_fill_flash.jpg” Classic. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘So what’s good besides Flickr?’ is closed to new replies.