Sweet! <insert gripe that’s too long for a title here>

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Sweet! <insert gripe that’s too long for a title here>

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant
    ennuipoet
    Participant

But it has so many megapixels it HAS to be good!

/Seriously, 41mp on a cellphone sensor a 1/4 of the size of a micro 4/3, don’t snap a shot in anything less than full sunlight!

sleeping
    Participant

If you read an article that actually has some details about what they’re doing, it’s rather more interesting than you might think at first. For one thing, it’s not really designed to give you 40-odd megapixels of output, but to take that data and downsample a low-noise 8 MP image.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor

ennuipoet
    Participant

Still, I think the MOST important question we need answers to: how will it look with a Sepia Tone Filter and Polaroid Edges? Will there be native support for the Diana Lens Filters or will we need to download a filter set? 🙂

chupathingie
    Participant

If you read an article that actually has some details about what they’re doing, it’s rather more interesting than you might think at first. For one thing, it’s not really designed to give you 40-odd megapixels of output, but to take that data and downsample a low-noise 8 MP image.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor

That actually has some merit. My boss dropped an email on me yesterday about this, and I explained that 41MP is WAY beyond the diffraction limit for a tiny lens…. I’d have to look into this a little more before I can say that there is an appreciable benefit to this approach…

Yugoboy
    Participant

For what it cost them to develop it, and if they’re touting the camera element of the phone, why not also 1-up the competition by installing a bigger lens? My old Olympus 3.3mp camera takes better pix than my 5mp phone because the phone has a lens measured in millimeters, while the Olympus lens is at least 1 inch diameter.
    A lens 1/4″ or more in diameter would be a HUGE improvement over the pinhole most phones have.

The 41mp to 8mp conversion does seem like it would create acceptable images for the majority of Americans (although that’s not really a huge endorsement). They’d probably be good enough for Fark’s 640px limit.

Yoyo
    Participant

And Nokia will never sell this phone in America. I don’t know of any US provider that carries any Nokias. Oh, wait, T-Mobile just added one model, but you have to get the top tier service. That’s what I miss about Europe. I could buy a Nokia for 25 euros cash-and-carry. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quad-band.

lokisbong
    Participant

I wonder why they moved away from Nokia? My first cell phone was a Nokia flip phone thing. Heh I was a late adopter to cell phone tech. Not a clue what model it was but I don’t remember seeing any the last few times I went in for a new phone either.

Curious
    Participant

i had a couple of nokias and liked them. of course if the market was driven by me .. well you guys would be whining and crying like crazy. crappy flip phones with crappy cameras no internet and no text — FTW.

lokisbong
    Participant

i had a couple of nokias and liked them. of course if the market was driven by me .. well you guys would be whining and crying like crazy. crappy flip phones with crappy cameras no internet and no text — FTW.

My current cell phone is one of the cheapo prepay per month things and it has none of the features people seem to need these days. No camera no internets no flip no frills at all. It also only ran about $40 a month. although right now it’s shut off for lack o cash.

Curious
    Participant

i currently have a samsung A167(?) flip with piss poor camera. $35 a month for 250 minutes, no internet, no text, no data, no whatever. ran out my old AT&T contract and bought a go phone and slipped the old sim card in the new phone. i use <10 minutes a month on average.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Sweet! <insert gripe that’s too long for a title here>’ is closed to new replies.