Taking Photographs at Events – Advice Wanted

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Taking Photographs at Events – Advice Wanted

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gototown
    Participant

I’m going to be taking some photographs at some events on my college campus, and I am wanting some advice on a couple things:

1) Dress – Khaki’s and a nice shirt, or dress pants and a tie?

2) How to approach people to take their photograph

I mainly only take pictures of still life and I am doing this as kind of a fun (hopefully) project. Any advice is greatly appreciated, as well as any thing else that could help me out.

Thanks 🙂

XenPix
    Participant

I’m going to be taking some photographs at some events on my college campus, and I am wanting some advice on a couple things:

1) Dress – Khaki’s and a nice shirt, or dress pants and a tie?

2) How to approach people to take their photograph

I mainly only take pictures of still life and I am doing this as kind of a fun (hopefully) project. Any advice is greatly appreciated, as well as any thing else that could help me out.

Thanks 🙂

1) Dress appropriate to the dress code for the event. If the event is black tie, you wear black tie, if the event is casual, you wear casual. 🙂

2) Generally I just walk up and ask. It’s a bit rude (I think) to interrupt people in conversation, if they are, see if you can catch someone of the groups eye and point to the camera and to them and they’ll either nod, look at you blankly, shake their head or call security. The worst that will happen is that they will say “no” for the most part.

Just try and relax and have fun.

Analogy
    Participant

“Event” is very unspecific and can refer to practically anything.

1) Wear what everybody else is wearing.

2) My method is to just mingle naturally with the crowd, making picturetaking almost an afterthought. If people are comfortable with your presence and you don’t make the photography too intrusive you get more natural and higher quality candid shots.

I don’t bother asking permission for a shot because calling attention to yourself makes people pose for the camera. I’m all about natural, candid, spontaneous shots in event photography and those just don’t happen when people are aware that there’s a camera pointed at them. If you need permission or caption details, get them after the shot. If they tell you not to use it, just delete it off your camera and move on. In general, however, if they’re at the kind of event that has photographers present they probably won’t have a problem with it. Of course, it depends on the event.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Taking Photographs at Events – Advice Wanted’ is closed to new replies.