The astrophotographer’s Holy Grail

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery The astrophotographer’s Holy Grail

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

black light is really good for night viewing. I prefer it over red or amber.

soosh
    Participant

I knew I had a thinner one.

orionid
    Participant

Heh. So now we’re comparing crescent sizes?

ravnostic
    Participant

Mine is way thinner. 😀

That’s good, right? 😯

Truthfully, the moon as a crescent is a bear to get; it’s always near the horizon which almost always means turbulent air, so a good clear picture is quite hard to capture.

This last almost new moon, I tried, and failed, to get the companion crescent waning shot. Maybe in a couple weeks.

caradoc
    Participant

black light is really good for night viewing. I prefer it over red or amber.

You mean ultraviolet light? Like I use for checking for scorpions and the like?

Be careful with that – if you’re using a UV light to see things at night, you’re exposing your eyes to a crapload of UV that’d normally be stopped down by your iris in daylight, but in the dark your eyes dilate all the way out and you get even more of it…

chupathingie
    Participant

This is as thin as I’ve managed so far…

shortstack

ravnostic
    Participant

That’s a very nice, crisp shot. Moon focus is my ‘other’ nemesis (though I think I have that one licked now–I ticked my lens at the proper focus point.)

chupathingie
    Participant

That’s a very nice, crisp shot. Moon focus is my ‘other’ nemesis (though I think I have that one licked now–I ticked my lens at the proper focus point.)

I cheated… it’s a stack. if you really want crisp shots, shoot a few minutes of 1080p and feed that into a stacker… mash go, get coffee, walk the dog, wash the car and viola! You don’t even need to track with this method, most stackers know to search and align the images on the fly. There are a ton of tricks you can use for planetary imaging… such as doubling or tripling the image resolution before feeding the stacker (this works due to the image being jogged slightly between frames in an untracked video)

As far as focusing goes… 2 words: Bahtinov mask.

orionid
    Participant

Bahtinov mask.

+1

ravnostic
    Participant

As far as focusing goes… 2 words: Bahtinov mask.

It’s on the ‘list’. I haven’t been with my telescope in a while, though I will be for the eclipse next month. I do need to get on this if I’m to make one before then.

For the camera, the ‘tic’ does a nice job.

caradoc
    Participant
    nobigdeal
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Wow indeed. When I first looked at them, I thought, “cool, but your standard NASA sun photos.” Then I saw that they were taken by an amateur in his backyard! Unbelievable.

ravnostic
    Participant

@ravnostic – Seen these shots of the sun?

I have now. 😀 Nice!

orionid
    Participant

Awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • The topic ‘The astrophotographer’s Holy Grail’ is closed to new replies.