The path we take to…uh, whatever it might be :)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery The path we take to…uh, whatever it might be :)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

For “all automatic” you’ve managed a nice assortment of photos there. Look forward to seeing what you are able to get with this new camera.

For the record, I’m in the north east suburbs, on the edge of “rural” land, Allen to be exact.

Malivon
    Participant

These are some older pictures (August 2009) from a camera that really was just a silly thing. It probably started more of this photography stuff than the Casio I had after it.

I buy weird camera brands, mainly because its fun to go off the beaten path sometimes.

These were taken with a Samsung L200, the camera in the earlier post was a Casio EX-H15.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t366/Malivon86/Older%20Camera

I consider this my first true jump into photography even if it was just with a simple point and shoot. I went with the Casio later because of its image quality (for me) was just right.

I should also say that I have two cameras, one a Samsung TL500, and the aforemention D3100.

Also, a little bit of me: Degree in biology, working towards another degree in computer science (my friends look at me with this weird, why would you do that to yourself look, a lot).

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I really like the canyon stuff, though I will say I have always been a sucker for those kinds of photos. 🙂

zincprincess
    Participant

Anyone near the Chattanooga, TN area? 😛

Thanks for the warm welcomes btw 🙂

Yep. I’m a native Georgian but have been in Knoxville for the past 14 years.

Malivon
    Participant

So something possessed me to go out and find some form of a film camera (didn’t care what it was) and take some photos today.

Went to a Thrift Store and found this Ricoh FF-70 camera for $2, then went to the flea market to buy 4 rolls of film for it ($3), it was expired, I didn’t give a hoot. (it was 400iso film).

Got them developed and put on a CD. Some of them suck, but some of them I genuinely like, I really didn’t discriminate on like/don’t like with this album and didn’t do any silly doctoring or photoshop wizardry.

Oh, most of them are overexposed and this is the first roll. I don’t care. 😛

Hope you enjoy looking at a possessed camera spree.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t366/Malivon86/Film%20Adventure/

orionid
    Participant

Yay! Welcome to dark slide. We have, ummm…. chemicals?

Looks like that lens has a pretty wicked hotspot/vignette that you could take advantage of creatively.

Malivon
    Participant

Yay! Welcome to dark slide. We have, ummm…. chemicals?

Looks like that lens has a pretty wicked hotspot/vignette that you could take advantage of creatively.

I’m gonna try and mess around with it next weekend. Trying to find a cheap place to buy film, with more variety in the ISO (flea market had expired CVS/Rite Aid film, 200 and 400 ISO).

The camera apparently takes 25 – 1600 ISO film (in 1/3 stops).

So, I’m going to have some fun with the thing. The lens is fixed, so there isn’t any chance of zooming in on something, which is fine, I enjoy walking.

Any tips on film ISO that you might be able to provide orionid?

I understand it to a point in digital terms, but do analog and digital ISO remain relatively equal or is there a super special secret to know about? Granted the thing isn’t a film SLR, just a point and shoot, but reading about the camera online, one can cover up the DX code and manually set the ISO on the camera to make things interesting.

Thanks in advance and for the comment 🙂

orionid
    Participant

ISO is ISO. Funny thing about international standards 😀

Be careful with covering the DX code, some cameras don’t allow a manual setting and default to something like 100 ISO.

Ummm, 200 and 400 are good all-around ISOs, 800 if you’ll do a bit of morning/evening shots and don’t mind grain. 1600 and up starts to fall into specialty. 100 and below will give you your best quality, but should be only used in full daylight and strong artificial light. At this point, you really don’t need to go below, Extar 100 is pretty much the finest grain film you can buy. Most places don’t do black and white or slide on site, and charge an arm and a leg to send them out (usually to Dwayne’s, so cut out the middle man and send it there yourself. If you stick with film for a while, you can develop it yourself with a sub-$50 bare-bones initial investment. Also, going along with ISO: First, memorize the Sunny 16 Rule. Then, once you have that down, you can keep Ansel’s mantra in mind. Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights (or, summed up, overexpose and underdevelop).

Ummm….. I guess that’s it for now, without going into the hows and what’s of the international standard and how/why ASA became ISO.

Oh, pay attention with color and slide film. It’s pre-whitebalanced. Most is set in a mid blue, good for daylight and flash. Tungsten balance is your next most common, and is usually lable with a letter code. Most of the time, it’s T, but not always (Like Ektachrome E100SW). If you’re not under tungsten hotlights, everything will look extremely blue. You can get WB filters to counter the effect and adjust for lighting.

Pickerel
    Participant

Nice thing about having Nikon… I have two old film bodies I got from various peoples (an EL2 and an FG) and I can use them with any lens that has an aperture ring. Keep them loaded with two kinds of film, and sometimes bring them with me. Once I shoot the roll of colour film in the EL2 I’m going to put B&W film in that… the FG already has ISO 100 B&W film in it that I’ve been shooting a bit. Hope to start developing the stuff once I have some shot film to work with!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘The path we take to…uh, whatever it might be :)’ is closed to new replies.