This round’s on me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I got to poking around the stats manager this morning; other than my results and checking out other people’s work, I don’t often delve into it. Today I’ve learned that I must be doing something right. I’m not only on the ‘Highest Vote Getters Recently’ list, but I’m also on the ‘Best Average Standings Evar’ and ‘Greatest Averages Evar’ lists.

How’d that happen? [raises can-o-beer, prompts others to do same]

I came into this little group as a long-time fark reader but never really a participant, stumbling onto a contest somewhere along the line. I had a good camera, but didn’t really know how to use it (and I’m still learning). I understood the ratios of ISO and F/stop, in principle, but knew little else.

Here, I’ve gotten tips, tricks, critiques, and commentary. I’ve been made privy to software ‘developing’ (and with assistance using it) for photography, and the occasional gee-whiz other-than-photography sites as well. Things like lighting and perspective and terms like bokeh and vignetting. And I’ve learned how to learn to use them.

It’s all still a work in progress; you people can talk circles around me in so many ways. There’s so many things to try, to explore, and yet I’m pretty terrified that if I spend any more time with photography, my family will have me committed somewhere.

I absolutely know I take a better picture today than I did even less than a year ago. And a very large chunk of that represents the value of this community. I hope to continue to learn new things, and pass on some of the things that I’ve picked up along the way.

To make a long story short

//too late

Cheers! [slams beer, crushes can on forehead, cracks open another]

orionid
    Participant

*raises a bourbon from the table in the corner*

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Cheers!
    *takes a sip of my sweet and sour on the rocks, with pinky extended cuz I’m classy that way*

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

a tip of my sambuca toward you

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

other than my results and checking out other people’s work, I don’t often delve into it.

I do keep a close watch on the stats usually, and I’ve been wondering for weeks why you weren’t already on those lists (you’ve been on the recent highest vote getters for quite a while, but not the others).

I haven’t looked at your earlier stuff, so I had to assume you must’ve posted quite a bit of low-vote-getting stuff earlier that was dragging you down. If so, you’ve certainly come a long way as that’s not the case any longer.

So, congrats on your well-earned entry to the lists!

zincprincess
    Participant

I’ll lift my Coke Zero to you. Under normal circumstances it would be a glass of wine but that is frowned upon for pregnant ladies – sigh. . .

It’s cool (not to mention rewarding) that you can see improvement over the weeks. I keep an eye on the FSM myself and am making incremental improvements.

chupathingie
    Participant

/me checks fridge for beer, finds none. Vodka and coke will have to do.

‘Grats!

I sure wish I had time to spend on the contests. You folks are great inspiration. I feel like a patron wandering a museum in here.

orionid
    Participant

mIRC FTW!

/slap himself

U-Man
    Participant

*While looking over my glasses, I tip my coffee mug respectfully your direction*

You’ve come a long way, baby. Every week you’re in or knocking around the top 10. I look forward to your stuff each week (as I do with a number of the ‘regulars’).

I have had a similar experience with this community and express my thanks right along with you.

ravnostic
    Participant

*raises a bourbon from the table in the corner*

It’s the one’s at the corner tables you have to worry about… 😯

Cheers!
    *takes a sip of my sweet and sour on the rocks, with pinky extended cuz I’m classy that way*

Hey, are you eying that guy at the corner table? O no you ditn’t! 😮

a tip of my sambuca toward you

Oh, good, someone to provide the music…
    um, you meant the other sambuca, didn’t ya? We drinks ya know. My bad.

I haven’t looked at your earlier stuff, so I had to assume you must’ve posted quite a bit of low-vote-getting stuff earlier that was dragging you down. If so, you’ve certainly come a long way as that’s not the case any longer.

So, congrats on your well-earned entry to the lists!

Don’t look at the earlier stuff. 😥 It’s not pretty. You know, I used to just point and click, like the p/s’ers do. Fancy camera and everything. Now I sit there and ‘compose’. Or my favorite, when the camera is on and life composes for me and I happen to get the shot. I’ve got a lot of good shots that way.

I’ll lift my Coke Zero to you. Under normal circumstances it would be a glass of wine but that is frowned upon for pregnant ladies – sigh. . .

It’s cool (not to mention rewarding) that you can see improvement over the weeks. I keep an eye on the FSM myself and am making incremental improvements.

Don’it suck that you can’t just have a few highballs and a Lucky Strike like women did in the 1960’s? And maybe a pill or two, too boot. But then again, the result might be useful in a theme for ‘carnival attractions’. And not in a good way. 😯 or rather, 💡 –you know, the mutant factor.

/me checks fridge for beer, finds none. Vodka and coke will have to do….I sure wish I had time to spend on the contests. You folks are great inspiration. I feel like a patron wandering a museum in here.

Wait. Did you just call us all museum pieces? 😕

mIRC FTW!

/slap himself

What did I tell ya about the ones in the corners?

You’ve come a long way, baby. Every week you’re in or knocking around the top 10. I look forward to your stuff each week (as I do with a number of the ‘regulars’).

I have had a similar experience with this community and express my thanks right along with you.

Good people in these parts, to be sure. Honestly, I am flattered and amazed at how well I’ve been doing each week. And it seems it takes fewer compositions to get there. If I can get to Mopsy‘s level, I’ll be happy (I might outrank her in the ‘recent’ stats according to ‘voters’, but your mom has consistently posted what I consider to be noteworthy and enviable photographs.) And yours aren’t too bad, either. Apples and trees.

chupathingie
    Participant

Wait. Did you just call us all museum pieces? Confused

Nope, just what you all do. I’d love to see a Gallery of Farktography; y’all are an unknown wellspring of talent. One or more of you folks are going to be famous someday, so look around and make sure you say hello to each other.

ravnostic
    Participant

Nope, just what you all do. I’d love to see a Gallery of Farktography; y’all are an unknown wellspring of talent. One or more of you folks are going to be famous someday, so look around and make sure you say hello to each other.

Well, there is the upcoming coffee table book. Of course, that will lead to the talk show circuit tours, the mini series, the movie, then of course the Broadway musical. At some point in there, someone is sure to put together a gallery showing, perhaps in conjunction with the musical, you know, for the after-premiere party.

So just bide your time. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘This round’s on me’ is closed to new replies.